• In the Spotlight:

If you were over at someones house and their cousin who you didnt not know who was drunk wanted to take your young child ( 2yrs old) Down to the swimming pool ( a lagre 3- 8ft one) would you let them?

We went over to somones house yesterday and i was told it was jsut going to be her her hubby and his dad and we were gonna bbq and go swimming.. i knew it was a deeper pool but i was ok with that as longa s me or his dad were with him and had a hand pon him at al times in the shallow end.. well i was not told about 15 other people were going to be there and that all but 3 of us (me my so and the girl who invited us) were going to be drunk.. well i was cutting up some food for the grill and some of the adults took the rest of kids down to the pool (my sons dad was busy at the moment also) my son wanted to go but i told him he had to wait.. one of the girls said she would take him but i told her no i would prefer he stay with me for now ill be down there in about 10 minutes.. (she was drunk and taking her 2 yr old down there ) But he starts crying and everyone calls me bad mother.. i know i did the right thing but (cont)

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 8:57 AM on May. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• Was made to feel like CRAP about it.. even my so who did not ask me why .. was making me feel bad (but he agreed when i talke to him later about it) Im sorry i would rather have my son unhappy fgor 10 minutes then dead cuz drunk ppl were not wacthing him.. plus i didint know them anyways i only the 1 girl.. and she had left to go get something from the store.. but i just want to know if any one else would have done waht i did or if was just being over protective
    JrsMommy07

Answer by JrsMommy07 at 8:59 AM on May. 23, 2009

• VERY good parenting choice. you weren't being over protective, you were being a good mom
    gabenmikeysmom

Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 9:01 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Girl you make the parents list!!! You so did the right thing. Don't give a shit about what others will think about you and the choices you make for your child. I would have also let my child cry for 10 minutes than finding myself crying for the rest of my life.

kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 9:03 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Just based on the title of your post (didn't need to read any further!)....NOOOOOOO!!!! I could've cared less what other people thought of me! My children, my responsibility!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:04 AM on May. 23, 2009

• I had a situation similar last month and ended up just not taking my kid to the party....all the other kids were going to be riding their trikes on the street and I'm just not comfortable with my two year old running around on a street. It is YOUR choice how you raise your child, not theirs. I agree with you and applaud you for sticking to your guns in a tough situation. Don't feel like crap, feel proud. You made a good choice not to put your child in danger and didn't let yourself get pressured into changing your mind.

ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:04 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Any mother would rather feel like crap for doing the right thing or unpopular thing than have their child drown. Period. You did the right thing. Strangers will never take my young child to the pool. And drunk friends, family, or strangers will never take her either!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 9:08 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Of course you did the right thing, and doing the right thing gets you flack sometimes. It's not even an option when the issue is the safety of your child. I wouldn't be going back for any bbq's with these people, unless I had a babysitter. But then being with my child would rank higher than being around 15 drunks that I didn't know. JMO.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:08 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Even if you knew the person you were right to sy no. I wouldn't let my kids get in the pool with myself or my husband if we were drunk, that's just craziness. It's nice to know there are parents who are actually parenting!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on May. 23, 2009

• You really had to ask? HELL NO, I would not allow any drunk person to take my child into a pool, that is an accident waiting to happen.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:32 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Who cares what other people think. You made the RIGHT choice for your child. Kuddos to you!!!
    tarthiggins

Answer by tarthiggins at 10:38 AM on May. 23, 2009