Do your kids have Asthma What was their first symtoms?

jcdmom

Asked by jcdmom at 9:33 AM on May. 23, 2009 in Health

• My son has outgrown his asthma but I have asthma. When my son had asthma, he just had a cough that wouldn't go away and he sounded like a cat purring when he was breathing. My symptoms are tightness in my lungs and chest, and a raspy cough.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:06 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Both my kids have asthma. Their symptoms were a cough without any other symtpoms. I have asthma too as well as my mom. My first symptom before the tightness in my chest is I feel like I have to constantly clear my throat. My daughter has it real mild and bad at the same time. She goes from completly fine to really sick in minutes. She very rarely has to take her rescue inhaler. They both see an asthma specialist twice a year just to make sure their medicines are still working for them. Good luck!
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 2:38 PM on May. 23, 2009

• My son has asthma but since he has alot of other respitory complications, I dont think asthma was what I first noticed. There was a mother on here that posted about sounding like a cat purring... have your child ever had a broncoscopy? That could be strider or tracheamalacia or lyringomalacia and not actually part of his asthma (all of those things are different parts of the respitory tract vibrating)

Most often asthma will present itself with your child having difficulty breathing (coughing is NOT always a sigh of asthma altho my son has the cough too) and retracting in his rib cage & in his neck. If his nostrals flare that is the point that he most definitely needs to go in to the doc. It could also be as simple as sounding like a quiet whistle when he breaths in.

I hope this helps:)
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:55 PM on May. 23, 2009