How do I punish my 2 yr old daughter for hitting others?

She really is a good girl, but my ex boyfriends nephew is bad, and when she was hanging around him, she started this hitting habit. I live with a friend now who has 3 other children and she hits them from time to time. The other day when they were eating dinner, my daughter stabbed her youngest daughter with a fork. It wasn't hard, it never is, but I want to brake this habit. It also seems like she doesnt listen to me, but she does with other adults. I want to break her of these habits, but I won't smack her. I don't believe in it. I know I'm not enforcing discipline well enough. I feel like I'm being mean to her.Can you tell me what to do?

audreynallysmom

Asked by audreynallysmom at 9:38 AM on May. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Tell her NO, explain that it hurts when you hit, remove her from the situation. After things calm down or a different day read books together about hitting to help her see pictures and understand. Often they are written in a way a child can understand. See some here  http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?node=22&page=1

momjs

Answer by momjs at 9:54 AM on May. 23, 2009

• My daughter did the same thing, and every once in a while still does. I remove her from the situation and give her a 2 min. time out. She is not allowed to get up, or play, or talk. I don't look at her or talk to her, only place her back on the stair. THen she has to appolize to the person she hit and give them a hug. I'd also throw in a simple, "Hitting isn't nice, we don't hit in this family" pep talk.
    Clarkebar2

Answer by Clarkebar2 at 12:40 PM on May. 23, 2009