Do you think public assistance is discriminatory?

People think that just because you may have made a decent living in the past, and have nice things, that you shouldn't be allowed to receive help in tough times. My husband and I have worked hard all our lives. Both got our graduate degrees, worked up the corporate ladder, started our business and now are struggling to make ends meet. We never pay ourselves for the sake of keeping the business afloat and keeping our employees. Now WE are struggling to pay the bills. We've cut spending as much as we can. We've refinanced, had yard sales, pawned jewelry, and I'm still struggling with the bills. I really need some help while the business is struggling.

Time and time again, I've heard from people on PA say "we've paid taxes, so we are entitled to it". Do you think PA should HELP all in need, or be a sole source for those living in poverty?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on May. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• cont... I've looked up foodstamps and WIC, and it is mind-boggling!!! I don't even know where to begin with the paperwork and stipulations. How do people do this???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on May. 23, 2009

• It is discriminatory,and there are people who know how to work the system, to get around all the rules and regulations,and get what they aren't entitled to, thus taking it from the ones who are truly hard-working,and genuinely in need,and can't get it because of the idiots who steal it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Ah, yes. Government 'assistance' as it's called is really just a big hassle with a fancy name. They make the application process for ANY program difficult and time-consuming for the simple fact that they hope people will give up instead of following through. You pretty much have to surrender everything you own, including your business, for the government to be willing to help you. They do not have these programs to assist people who are contritbuting members of society, even though they claim as much. Assistance programs, from food stamps to WIC to help with housing, are created for unmotivated, lazy, non-contributing drains on the economy. It's better to be a jobless, uneducated, non-married baby factory than a hard worker who needs a little help. I could go on and on about this, but I just want you to know that I've been through this ordeal. It's frustrating and pretty much pointless to apply for any government assistance.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 10:35 AM on May. 23, 2009

• It sucks because people who are really struggling to survive and not making the bills, but do have employment are refused because they "make too much". If you're flat broke and have no job, you get all kinds of assistance. It's not fair to the employed people who don't make enough money to survive on....my husband and I were in that position for a while - barely making ends meet and didn't qualify for foodstamps, cash assistance etc.

We recently lost all income for a few months and qualified for so many benefits, it was crazy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on May. 23, 2009

• For a fairly temporary basis, okay.

But then, some nice things may need to be sold off, and employees let go.

Sounds like you need their salary to make it, and may need to do their job (s).
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 10:59 AM on May. 23, 2009

• You need to let some of your staff go. It sucks, but is it better to have some of your staff gone and keep the business afloat, or to have all of you unemployed and lose the business you worked so hard for?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Yes. After I had to leave my ex due to domestic abuse, I couldn't stay with my mom because she had special housing and couldn't get me on her lease. The office almost denied me Homeless Assistance because I had a pretty face and a car. My car was the only thing I had! The worker always thought I was committing fraud for something, and one time when I was visiting my mother so that I could take a shower, investigators came to the door and would videotape my mom's apartment complex. I got enrolled in school and slowly was able to get off of it. I hated my county. When I switched counties, they were tons nicer to me and even got me counseling to help me deal with depression and getting over being abused.

It's been a number of years now, but I know I'll try my hardest never to be put in that position again because it IS a huge hassle and I don't need the headache.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 12:03 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I'm sorry to hear of your struggles.

I think public assistance's biggest weakness is that it's frequently based on last year's taxes. The bureacrats don't seem to understand that a lot can change since the last tax year.

Anyway, as far as running your own business - you have to pay yourself. If not a regular salary, some form of commission. If you can't keep yourself afloat there is no way you'll be able keep your business afloat.

I agree with the previous poster, you probably need to downsize so you can afford to pay yourself. It stinks to have to let people go, but it's better than closing down entirely.
    Anonymous

• I'm right there with you. We are refinancing our house. I own my own business and the economy is dragging it through the gutter right now. I have so much tied up in the business that I can't afford to let it go but I'm not really making any money from it right now. My s/o has a Phd and he's had to take a second job (an umpire) to bring in extra cash. Public assistance is very discriminatory. You have to be on the verge of losing everything before they will help you and by the time that happens you can't get out of the cycle. They need more programs to help working families "keep" what they have instead of giving hand outs to those families that choose to have more kids and live in section 8 housing, living on welfare for years.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 1:07 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Pa goes buy yout total income, God help you if your 1 penny above the cut off allowment . I've been in several situations were either my daughter or sons jobs determined the amount of pa we got, if we got any at all. Once my daughter was making just a little over 50 cents above the allowment & we were completely cut off. So here I was trying to survive on my SSD raising 2 growing teens( & 1 of those teens was a boy, u know how they eat). I dont believe that everyone should be allowed to get pa, however, depending on the curcumstanses the state should provide some help to those in need until they can get back on their feet.
    witch_e_woman

Answer by witch_e_woman at 2:00 PM on May. 23, 2009