How long can you stay in jail...?

If you violate probation? My nephew went to probation and he had to go to jail because he didn't go to probation and community service. He went to jail Wed and I'm wondering when he will get out. (He is only 17)

Valerie

Valerie42

Asked by Valerie42 at 10:32 AM on May. 23, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Every situation is different, depending on what he did and who's sentencing him, it could be a nice judge or a mean one.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 10:40 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Sorry, but I hope he stays tell he learns.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:42 AM on May. 23, 2009

• It will be up to the judge
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 10:46 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Depends on the violation and the judge.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:04 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Don't know. Better ask a law enforcement officer. I don't know anyone who has ever gone to jail.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 7:03 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Whatever was left of his sentence and there may be time added for any violations he did while on probabtion.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:14 PM on May. 23, 2009

• they can keep him there until he is 18
    Anonymous

• It depends, every situation is unique. Sometimes the judge is more lenient. Good Luck.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 8:00 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I have learned from working in the past with teens and a family member who seems to get away with everything that is is different even within the same county and in front of the same judge depending on the probation officer and his/her recommendation based on their experience with the teen.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:33 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I think it's going to depend on what he did to get on Probation to begin with, what he did to violate it, how he's been doing overall, how he acts while he's locked up, and who the individual authorities are who are overseeing his situation. Not to mention what State you're in.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:35 AM on May. 24, 2009