WHAT AGE CAN YOU GIVE YOUR BABY WATER?

My daughter is seven months, when can i give her water in a bottle. I'd rather give her water in a bottle before bed. She wont sleep with out a bottle. When did you give your baby water?

Hailynsmommy

Asked by Hailynsmommy at 10:33 AM on May. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can give water after about 6 months but not a lot. Just an ounce or two a day.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 10:43 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Its not a good idea until they're older. Their body mass index is so small that they have a hard time absorbing it and they can actually get water poisoning, which is actually something...at this age she needs the milk for nutrients. You don't want to replace that with just empty water.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:43 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Can u try a binki before bed. They shouldn't go to bed with a bottle . It can cause ear problems and tooth decay.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Both of my kids were given water while still in the hospital. I always gave my kids at least a little water a day. It will help them not to get "blocked" up and will help them to not have dry skin.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:49 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Hospitals do not give water, they give a type of sugar water. It helps them not get blocked up because they cant digest it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on May. 23, 2009

• My daughter is five months old. I give her an ounce or two of water ONLY ONLY ONLY if we're out walking on a hot day. I know it's just empty calories, but I want her to stay hydrated.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:00 AM on May. 23, 2009

• I gave DD some water when she started solids. I'd give it to her in a cup and let her practice. But other than that too much water is bad for them. As someone else said they can get water poisoning.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:00 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Ugh, not empty calories. Empty nutrition, whatever, you know what I mean.
    caitxrawks

• my husbands family are chinese and they have given there kids water at 2 months, i have given my daughter water since 2 months and it acually helps her if se is a little constipated. everyone as a different opinion.
    indysownlilbit

Answer by indysownlilbit at 11:01 AM on May. 23, 2009

• realistically a little won't hurt at any age, but I mean a LITTLE. Doctors even tell you to give it to newborns with a bad case of jaundice.

However, with your child being 7 months I think it would be fine- but I would suggest not to use water to get her to go down to bed. Since they don't *need* water until 1 yr a bottle of it at night won't do her any good and will form bad habits. I would also suggest to try to give her water in a sippy cup, not a bottle.

I live in a hot and dry place, so I give my 8 m/o a sippy cup with water in it when we go out. The car gets so hot and I can tell she's uncomfortable. The water helps her cool down and keeps her hydrated.

To try to get her to go to sleep without a bottle trying reading and singing to her while you rock her at night in a dark room.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 11:22 AM on May. 23, 2009