I have a question about witness protection programs,serious question,but posting anon for obvious reasons!

My sister in law married a man from Syria several years ago. He came to America,and became a citizen. He then became very secretive,and carried 3 cell phones. We all tried to give him the benefit of the doubt,but as it turned out, he was,in fact, part of a sleeper cell here in the States. We found this out when the Secret Service went to visit my SIL, after he had fled back to Syria. That's been about 3 years now. My other SIL told my DH last night, she hasn't heard from their sister in about 2 years,now,neither have we. She's not in the same apt. she was,and has no published phone number. She had been threatened by the Syrian Mafia. Do you think,given that she has cut off all contact,that the Govt. put her in the Witness protection program? My DH and I really are intersted in other points of view! Hope to get some interesting responses. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on May. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It's more likely she is in hiding on her own, or God forbid, some of the people looking for her found her. Hope you find out something soon, and that she is safe and continues to be so.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Thank you. My SIL's daughter talked to the other sister's son. She asked him how his mom was,and he said "fine",and changed the subject,and refused to say anymore about his mom. He must know where she is,and isn't saying. We are just wanting to know she's safe,and ok. We don't mind if she is hiding,we are just worried for her safety.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on May. 23, 2009

• If she is being threatened by thugs and doesn't have anything to offer the government - like incriminating evidence or information - they wouldn't spend the money to put her in a program like that. Plus, she wouldn't be able to have any contact with her family at all. Nobody would likely hear from her again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Wow... that's scary! I sure hope she's safe.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 12:02 PM on May. 23, 2009

• "Thank you. My SIL's daughter talked to the other sister's son. She asked him how his mom was,and he said "fine",and changed the subject,and refused to say anymore about his mom. He must know where she is,and isn't saying. We are just wanting to know she's safe,and ok. We don't mind if she is hiding,we are just worried for her safety."

Sounds like she's hiding out on her own. I wish her the best and hope she gets the protection she needs!
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 1:34 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Thanks ladies, I appreciate the answers. It's been scary, we thought she'd been in touch with their other sister,and were shocked to find out she's not. Their other sister now carries a loaded gun in her purse, since she doesn't know who knows what, or anything. Never thought our family would be in such a situation. It's bizarre,actually. To think this man we had in our home was actually conspiring with terrorists, to attack our country. Makes me sick to think about, actually. I feel almost violated. I can't imagine how my SIL felt after she found out. That may also be why she's hiding out. I wish we could tell her,though we love her,and don't blame her for what happened. She was a victim as well.
    Anonymous