Why does my DD get diarehha when she drinks more than 2 sippy cups of tea or coolaid?

If she drinks achually any kind of juice or tea she gets diarehha. She is 17 months old. Well almost on June 11 she will be 17 months old. The only thing she can drink all day long is water if she has more than 2 cups of anything else it pretty much gives her diarehha. Well, I don't know if it is really diarehha cause she only goes anywhere from 1 to 4 times, but it is very watery. But I was just wanting to know if anyone could tell me why she does this if she drinks anything else more than 2 cups but not to water or milk? I thought maybe cause she is use to water I was giviing her water everyday pretty much all day and letting her have one cup of tea or koolaid a day. What is your thought?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on May. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• This is what my sons doc told me for drinks.....

4 oz of juice (undiluted otherwise you lose nutrients)
    8 oz of milk
    the rest should be water.

There is no reason to bash this lady, some of you are acting like she is abusing or killing her child. Tea is ok for a toddler, but it will make her go. That is what I used when my son was constipated and it worked really well.

If you are really concerned, talk to your child's doctor about what they recommend and don't feel bad for giving your child KoolAid or tea, NO PARENT IS PERFECT and ALL PARENTS MAKE MISTAKES.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:38 PM on May. 23, 2009

• my thought is the sugar isn't agreeing with her digestive system. I would lay off the sugary drinks, and keep giving her just milk and water. Other than Vitamin C, juice doesn't have much value and you can make up the Vitamin C by giving her real fruit.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:01 AM on May. 23, 2009

• I only give my 17 month old milk and water. No tea because it is a diarrhetic, meaning (Excessive and frequent evacuation of watery feces, usually indicating gastrointestinal distress or disorder). Then coolaid has dye in it. She might be allergic to the dye. I say go with what works. If she is fine with milk and water, give that to her. She will also develop healthy eating habits and when she is older ask for water and milk instead of sugary drinks.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 11:02 AM on May. 23, 2009

• I agree about the sugar. Try finding a low sugar pure fruit juice and try that. Nothing else.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:04 AM on May. 23, 2009

• the coloring in the coolaid is doing it and you dont give a 17 month old tea
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on May. 23, 2009

• A 17 month old child should not be drinking tea or kool-aid. I can see a sip here and there but MORE THAN 2 SIPPY CUPS PER DAY? That's crazy. Give that baby milk, water and once in awhile a little 100% fruit juice (you can even dilute that with water). That crap is bad for you and her body wants it out, that's why she has diarrhea. Cut way back and she should be fine.
    teach_ohio

Answer by teach_ohio at 11:18 AM on May. 23, 2009

• its too much sugar! if she drinks water why would you giver ger coolaid anyway? a lill diluted juice or milk but that is it.
    CSRodriguez

Answer by CSRodriguez at 11:31 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Are you using a sugar substitute? Things like Equal can cause diarrhea. I agree with the other moms, cut her back to just milk & water. She will be a much happier baby.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:51 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Easy enough fix, don't give her tea or Cool-aid, they are hard on her digestive system. It's not like she needs either, they aren't healthy.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:52 AM on May. 23, 2009

• tea is a natural laxative... and coolaid has a lot of sugar in it. Those might be the reasons for the diarreah. I would try fruit juice instead. Mix it half and half with water, not more than 4oz of the actual juice a day until she's 2. If she's drinking water then she shouldn't need much juice anyways... or just give her milk! Children under 2 still need milk to be their main source of drink. Good luck
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 12:32 PM on May. 23, 2009