If foodstamps were more like WIC?

I know that on WIC you get x amount of something. You can't get junk food or nothing like that. Do you think that Food stamps should have the same system? So that Cokes and chips and stuff couldn't be bought. If it focuses on more fresh fruits and veggies, and on lean protiens and such? I know that on WIC, here in AR, we get coupons for the farmers market.

Do you think making foodstamps go to a program like WIC so that what kind of food people get is healthy and benificial to them and their children?

Just wondering cause I saw some many questions on FoodStamps, and ppl were mad that unhealthy/junk food was being bought.

lstrickland

Asked by lstrickland at 11:00 AM on May. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think food stamps should be like WIC. It's called public ASSISTANCE. Not public get whatever you want. If you are in NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED then you should get HELP. and those who get help should be grateful for what they get and stop acting entitled. I was on PA and felt this way even then. Should your kids get candy? Sure. It's 50 cents for a candy bar, buy it with your cash.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:08 AM on May. 23, 2009

• no. and its not so why talk about fantasy when its not reality. there is no point it wont change.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on May. 23, 2009

• NOPE I LIKE MY SODA I LIKE MY JUNK:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on May. 23, 2009

• I think that might be a more beneficial choice as a society. Perhaps making healthy food the same price as that crap you could by, would have obesity rates in this country drop. I just hate that just because someone is on government assistance they can't choose what kind of food they want to buy. A lot of times it is just cheaper to buy the junk, but you wouldn't want someone closing down fast food restaurants all over simple to make our life styles healthier. People would be up in arms about how they can't make their own choices. Maybe people need to take advantage of a value meal. lol
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 11:09 AM on May. 23, 2009

• WHY EVEN BOTHER TALKING ABOUT THIS? ANON IS RIGHT.. ITS NOT REALITY AND IT MORE THAN LIKELY WONT BE CHANGING.... ITS JUST GOING TO CAUSE A BIG ARGUMENT. ITS POINTLESS.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 11:09 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Your right momnbaby....we shouldn't question the way things are and seek ways to improve waste, we should just sit on our hands and hold our opinions and let the big strong men in charge take care of us. Tell me, is this how you have dealt with ALL issues you don't agree with? If you don't want to hear diff opinions on diff topics why are you in here? This goes to that first Anon too....

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:13 AM on May. 23, 2009

• yeah thats how i look at everything. no! if i want something done or would like something done, i find the way to change it or do it and... GET IT DONE. or at least try. sitting here on cafemom starting arguments and whining about things, will get nothing done. if you really want to change this.. then go to your state and find out how. dont sit on cafemom griping about it with other moms. it really does NOTHING at all.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 11:18 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Yes if there is a way to do that I think it would be great.I wonder about those getting fs who buy alot of junk and quick meals.I just wonder if maybe they do not know how to do things such as cooking extra and then freezing some for later meals which can be popped into the microwave and done in minutes.The same as quick meals purchased but usually alot healthier.Make their own fruit and veggies trays with dips for their kids after school snacks.These things really do not take all that much time and work to do.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:18 AM on May. 23, 2009

• In theory it's a good idea, but think about the bureaucracy it would create - even more than it already is. I have never been on assistance, so I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. If you are on WIC and need a specific kind of formula, you have to get it written from a Dr. that this is what you need so that the WIC office can get specific things accepted (after all, the grocery store doesn't know if you have a baby that requires lactose free whatever). So, if you or your family members have health issues, like allergies, then you must get it written that certain alternatives will be accepted. It would make a bigger paper trail for the grocery store, the Dr.'s office, the assistance office, and we all know more paper means more money to the taxpayer.

IMO, the theory is good, but the practicality is missing.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Maybe also like WIC the FS program should have workers or a class to teach people how to make healthier meals and choices and such.I know some gripe about going to get their WIC checks and having to listen to the HD worker talk about all that but I bet others have found it really benificial and it helped them.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:24 AM on May. 23, 2009