when should i inform my employer that i am pregnant?

i just found out that i am between 5 and 6 weeks pregnant, and i am working under a temp agency right now. they want to keep me and hire me straight into the company i am working at, especially bc of the experience i have with xrays. i was told that by june i would be hired straight into the company (botsford medical center). i have not yet informed my office manager that i am expecting, i am hesitant for a few reasons. 1) i am afraid that they wont want to keep me bc i will be unable to do the xrays that they wanted to keep me for, regardless of the fact that i can still fully carry out any of my other duties with no restrictions. 2) not being a part of the exact company yet, what rights do i have as a pregnant female??
my bf has told me to tell them, and my best friend has told me to wait until my 90 days are up. i am afraid that if i wait, they will think that i was hiding something from them. anyone have any advice??

babyonboard1985

Asked by babyonboard1985 at 11:26 AM on May. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• Are you taking xrays? If you aren't I would wait? Wait as long as you can until you are established at that other company. Just keep in mind when you have to start going to appointments once a month that they don't conflict with your work schedule. Also I didn't start getting morning sickness until I was about eight weeks pregnant until I was five months. I was throwing up a lot at work. Not that it will happen, but it might. I told my employer that it was an accident, even though we had planned it. I had only been there three months!
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 11:30 AM on May. 23, 2009

• i would wait as long as possible, i was in a similar situation and i thought i had to tell my job, well they fired me shortly after i told them. as I'm sure you know its illegal for an employer to fire you because your pregnant but they still do they just don't say that's the reason, they'll make something up. good luck and congratulations!
    jak89

Answer by jak89 at 12:01 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Wait as long as possiible to tell your employer. Be prepared with a plan to cover your workload during your maternity leave; try to anticipate any questions or concerns that they may have. Remember,, it is illegal to discriminate based on pregnancy;

Answer by rkoloms at 4:28 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Most people don't tell until the 2nd trimester anyhow and I know a lot of docs recommend the same. You cannot be discrimated against because of pregnancy either.
    Anonymous

• But if they want you to do x-rays, what excuse are you going to give them repeatedly when you cannot do your job? In most cases, I would say wait. But with you doing x-rays and that is the exact reason they want you, you will need to tell them why you are unable to do the job they want to hire you for. Maybe they will appreciate your honesty and offer you a different job, but if you are new and can't perform the job that they want you for, they may let you go. There is a difference between discrimination and them not taking on a new hire that can't do the job they need done.
    I'm not trying to be a downer, but you have to look at it from their point of view too. Yes, you need a job, but they need someone who can work with x-rays. If you were already employed by them, then they would have to find someone else to perform the duties, but you are already pregnant and they want you for a specific job. Good luck deciding.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:59 PM on May. 25, 2009

• It may be a good idea to tell them now. Some employers may work with you and try to find another position for you that would be ok for the baby. I told my employed right away and he is shifting things around so I will soon be able to work from home temporarily until I can return to my normal position.
    lilkgfan

Answer by lilkgfan at 11:01 PM on May. 31, 2009