How Can You Tell If Your Child Is Lying To you?

Is there something specific that your child does to "give away" that they are lying to you about something? What are specific things you look for if you suspect your child is lying, or anybody for that matter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on May. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• i cant agree with the looking away thing because im a shy person when i speak to people in person so my eyes are always flying around- so i cant rely on that as a tell unless the person normally looks at me in the eye- but i can tell my older son is lying when he starts to stutter, and my middle by the way he starts to giggle and smile saying its true! lol and my youngest cant even talk yet let alone lie- but as for people in general i can tell someone is lying when they overly explain things- it sounds like they are trying to make me believe them
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 1:05 PM on May. 23, 2009

• The person will look away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on May. 23, 2009

• My dd can't look me in the eyes when she is not telling me the truth.. She is NOT a good liar anyway.. lol That goes with just about anyone.. If they can't make eye contact, you can bet that what they are saying is NOT the truth!!
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 11:54 AM on May. 23, 2009

• If I have a strong suspicion, I give the "it is always better to tell the truth" talk and they typically fess up. At times they do look down, or the tone in their voice rises and they get very defensive. My kids don't lie often, but these are the things I look for when making a determination as to who is not being honest.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 11:58 AM on May. 23, 2009

• My son, almost 5, has just recently learned to lie so thus far it has all been obvious. Like "Give me that, you know you aren't supposed to have it." (It's behind his back) He say's "I don't have anything. I didn't touch it" Uhg! hopefully we can nip this in the bud before it becomes a big problem.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:13 PM on May. 23, 2009

• if they are younger kids.. they won't look at you
    if they are older.. my mom used to make us look her in the eyes and hold our wrist so she could feel our pulse. If we looked away then it was a dead giveaway, and The adrenaline rush of lyng makes your BP rise.. causes your heart to beat faster..
    (to tell you the truth it just made me a better liar, but it did work for a while)
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 12:36 PM on May. 23, 2009

• OP here, all great signs. Somebody close to me has made a pretty serious allegation about somebody else and I had a gut feeling they weren't telling the truth, at least not the whole truth. As I read your "give aways" I found that I was nodding my head to most of them regarding this situation... I feel more confident now that my initial reaction was spot on. Thanks ladies.
    Anonymous

• I have one liar ~ HABITUAL!! His ears turn bright red when he lies. Then he starts crying "Why won't you believe me" He is always the first one to say "It wasn't me or I didn't do it" or point his finger at others. He lied first thing today ~ I had him get back in his pj's and back to bed. DH and the other boys would go sailing without him. DH had told all the boys if there was trouble/disrespect the guilty would not go sailing AND they would lose the privilege of going clay pigeon /target shooting on mon. He has since old the truth, apologized and gave up the movie for tonight to write out select Bible verses. His bio parents taught all 8 of their kids to lie, steal, cheat, disrespect, hit, cuss ~ We are making headway but it cannot be changed over night. Our 9y/o adopted son just cannot bring himself to lie. He tried it once then came right back to tell the truth. AHHHHHH
    nookers

Answer by nookers at 2:29 PM on May. 23, 2009