How do get my 10 year old daughter to loss weight

She is ten years old and weights about 115 and they say it is cause eats to deal with stress.I want to help her loss it but I dont want to push her to hard.She doesnt handle stress very well.So any advice will help!I also have her in thearphy to help her also.

Thanks very much!

ProudMommy1998

Asked by ProudMommy1998 at 11:55 AM on May. 23, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• She's just 10 yrs old . Don't worry about it she's a growing girl' she needs to eat. But don't let her over eat. When she's older and wants to loose the weight then she will. But she's got to be the one to want to loose the weight not you. Your job is to love her 'she's your daughter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Lose... lose weight..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on May. 23, 2009

• go for walks with her. talk to her about how she's feeling, cook healthier, help her find new outlets for her stress (diary, art, whatever).
    i would not tell her she needs to lose weight, she most likely already knows that and is self concious enough. just help and encourage her.
    gabenmikeysmom

Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 12:02 PM on May. 23, 2009

• What types of food are you buying? She can't eat poorly if the food isn't there, at least at home. Try to find some receipes of healthy foods that still taste good to younger kids. As the PP said, don't tell her she needs to lose weight, just change the meals to a healtier life style and start doing more with her outdoors; biking, walking, hiking, swimming, playing tag, things that 10 years old like to do. Find out why she is so stressed, a 10 year old shoudln't be stressed! This is the fun part of life! Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Do not make it out like your concerned about her weight. You need to just buy good healthy food and get her active. Do it all with her just like the first poster said. Makeit about getting healthy. Why is this child so stressed out? Thats not healthy either. My 11 yr old weighs 95 lbs so it sounds like shes only a little overweight depending on her height.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:22 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Don't have junk food available. I agree with PP that you should go for walks together. Get into it with her. Cook healthy together. In a couple years, she is going to be painfully aware of being overweight- best nip it in the bud for her health and for her peace of mind. Best of luck to you!
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 12:22 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Ignore the weight issue. You said yourself that the real issue is stress management. this is where your focus should be. Focusing on her weight will only make it worse.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 4:57 PM on May. 23, 2009

• If she is stressed, you need to work with her to find postive ways to relieve, maybe yoga or a dance class or the two of you could go for a power walk every evening.
    Do not make a issue out of her weight. Make sure that there is a variety of healthy foods for snacks, and that meals are based on vegetables and whole grains. Tell her that you want to start cooking healthier meals and ask her to go to the library with you to look at cookbooks. You can even start with a kids cookbook like Pretend Soup. The Moosewood cookbooks are loaded with delicious, healthy meals.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:28 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Ignore the weight issue and work on the stress issue. Walking is a good start, the two of you can talk to each other. Also, help her find ways to battle the stress. It could be as simple as reading, walking, taking a hot bath or shower. Get her a stressball that she can squeeze when she is stressed, it really helps. So does squeeshing playdough or clay. If she is that stressed and can't handle it, she could use the help of a professional that can teach her coping skills. I have a feeling that her weight has nothing to do with what you are feeding her and it won't matter if you take away junk food, she will still eat the healthy foods if that is how she deals with stress and she will continue to gain weight. I used to eat when I was stressed and gained 50 lbs which I am still trying to lose. It didn't matter if the food was healthy or not, I just ate until I was ready to explode. I got professional help for a few months.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:09 PM on May. 23, 2009

• She needs relaxing quiet times. Let her read a book, color, crafts, knit,listening to calming music,whatever . And change her diet without actually letting her know that she is getting fewer calories. Don't make a big deal out of it but try to encourage more activity such as walking. Fewer calories and more exercise is the only way for any of us to lose weight-kids too. Good luck.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:16 PM on May. 23, 2009