if you are dislexic

when you misspell a word, do you just have trouble KNOWING how to spell the word or do you not even know that you are spelling it wrong?

hopefully that makes sense...

im just curious.

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:15 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Dyslexic people know how to spell a word or read a word, but the letters get mixed up, and so when they're writing, they'll write things wrong without realizing it.
    That said, they can learn to deal with it and watch it as they get older. One of the smartest guys I know is dyslexic- and he's a doctor now!
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 12:19 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I am dislexic... Most times even words that are spelled right look wrong to me... So, it's hard to identify when they are spelled right.

I have a friend whos dislexia is so bad she has trouble reading the kitchen checks (she's a cook) and many times has to ask for help... In her 40's I can't imagine that's easy to deal with!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:59 PM on May. 23, 2009

• the letters get mixed up . i cant tell you even how many times at work i would read the register and i would read the nimbers off wrong and i would have to quickly correct myself .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:04 PM on May. 23, 2009

• My brother is dyslexic and he's pretty sure he's spelling every single word wrong... he's been known to throw silent Es on the end of random words just in case.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyslexia#Characteristics_of_Dyslexia
    Most dyslexics are above average in intelligence, but have trouble conveying that because of their difficulty expressing themselves in writing. My brother is brilliant, and very articulate, but reads on about a fourth grade level and his writing/spelling is at a lower level. He has excellent comprehension of what he does read, but it takes him a long time to piece together each word individually.The letters don't hold still for him - he simply can't focus on them. It's not a matter of will, but the way his brain is wired.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 1:16 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Most dyslexics are highly intelligent; it's not just a matter of having difficulty with reading and spelling -- it is a whole different way of processing information. If a dyslexic child has their gifts nurtured, and learns to compensate for their struggles with written words, they have possibly a better chance of achieving greater success than a non-dyslexic. There are any number of people who are businessmen, drs, lawyers, professors, scientists, artists, etc who have dyslexia. My brother was in the "LD" class for reading, and in the gifted program as well. This is extremely common.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 1:22 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I am not dislexic, but my husband is. He has to ask me quite often how to spell a word for him and I need to proofread his college papers for him. He uses many of the wrongly spelled words, even though they sound the same, and his thoughts often need some grammatical correction.
    He also speaks the incorrect word when he is thinking of the correct word to say. It really embarasses him so I try not to correct him, especially in front of other people.
    He is highly intelligent and is working on his MBA degree at this moment. He just needs some extra help now and then as a student would need a dictionary or thesaurus.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:06 AM on May. 24, 2009

• Correction: I spelled it incorrectly - "dyslexic." Sorry.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:08 AM on May. 24, 2009