Is there any way to prevent maggots in the outside garbage can?

I washed it out with bleach, soap and water. Now there are maggots again. I spray inside the garbage can with flying bug spray and close the lid. I just don't know what to do to keep flies from laying eggs, and ending up with maggots. Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I'd keep the lid off after cleaning with bleach!

In the future, wrap any food being thrown away tightly in a plastic bag.

Keep your trash cans in an area out of direct sunlight, and away from your --the heat acts like a little incubator.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:33 PM on May. 23, 2009

• bag and tie it
    Anonymous

• i'd like to know the same! i get them every year and it's so disgusting! and I bag and tie up my garbage! i even keep the trash can lid on tight but they still get in!
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 1:04 PM on May. 23, 2009

• is your lid tight fitting? If not that how they may be getting in and nothing you do will help. Hmmm. Not sure what else to offer.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 6:50 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Clean out and let air dry thoroughly. Use bleach and water and let it sit for a little bit. Rinse out with water every week to make sure there is no food or liquid sitting in the bottom.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:40 PM on May. 23, 2009

• This is gonna sound nuts but do the normal cleaning and drop mint orub mint oil on the can. Bug don't like the smell of mint. I know I thought my mother was bonker when she told me but it works
    EmpressCrawford

Answer by EmpressCrawford at 12:16 AM on May. 24, 2009