Is there any way to prevent maggots in the outside garbage can?

I washed it out with bleach, soap and water. Now there are maggots again. I spray inside the garbage can with flying bug spray and close the lid. I just don't know what to do to keep flies from laying eggs, and ending up with maggots. Any ideas?

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I'd keep the lid off after cleaning with bleach!

In the future, wrap any food being thrown away tightly in a plastic bag.

Keep your trash cans in an area out of direct sunlight, and away from your --the heat acts like a little incubator.

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:33 PM on May. 23, 2009

• bag and tie it

• i'd like to know the same! i get them every year and it's so disgusting! and I bag and tie up my garbage! i even keep the trash can lid on tight but they still get in!

Answer by mominbolt at 1:04 PM on May. 23, 2009

• is your lid tight fitting? If not that how they may be getting in and nothing you do will help. Hmmm. Not sure what else to offer.

Answer by pagirl71 at 6:50 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Clean out and let air dry thoroughly. Use bleach and water and let it sit for a little bit. Rinse out with water every week to make sure there is no food or liquid sitting in the bottom.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:40 PM on May. 23, 2009

• This is gonna sound nuts but do the normal cleaning and drop mint orub mint oil on the can. Bug don't like the smell of mint. I know I thought my mother was bonker when she told me but it works

Answer by EmpressCrawford at 12:16 AM on May. 24, 2009