8 m/o with fever of 101.1, what do I do?

I checked her temp under her arm and it was 100.1 and is it right that you add one degree so it would be 101.1?

Is this something I need to get her in to the doctor for, or what should I do? We've never dealt with a baby fever before.

julipickle2

Asked by julipickle2 at 12:29 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is right that you add 1 degree under the arm. Call the phone nurse and see what they have to say. Is she teething, or do you notice if she has pain anywhere, such as her ear(s)? Tylenol will bring her fever down but if there is an infection it will just come back. Call the phone nurse or the cliinic or hospital and talk to someone first and see if they think you should come in. Don't panic, that's not that extremely high of a temp 103 then start to worry a little more. Good luck!
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 12:33 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Fevers are fighting off infection/virus and can last up to three days even with a temperature of 103. It's also normal for a fever to go up and down even with taking a fever reducer. Is she eating drinking, even a little bit? If she isn't acting "normal" I would be more concerned like being lethargic.You may want to call the pedi to be sure.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:37 PM on May. 23, 2009

• 101 really isnt that bad. A fever is how they fight infection so dont jump the gun with medicine. Give her a lukewarm bath and let her wear just a diaper, no clothes. At 103 I'd bring out the motrin (not tylenol). If that doesnt work then switch between motrin and tylenol every 4 hours. 104 is to the hospital for us especially if the meds arent working.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 12:41 PM on May. 23, 2009

• She's not extremely fussy, but she's not herself. I checked her temp again at it's actually 102.1 (she was pretty wiggly the first time so I thought I'd double check.)

Her ear looks pretty red and she's been pulling on it, so I think I'll take her in.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 1:03 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I would just give some motrin and keep an eye on it.
    And I would also tak a rectal temp so you know the TRUE temp. Because even though people are told it's a degree warmer... that isn't always the case... it could be only like 100.5 or it could be even higher like 103... axillary temps aren't a very accurate temp.
    A low grade temp like this is not something you need to see a doctor for... children can have temps of 105 and are just fine. If she seems otherwise fine just watch it and keep her temp in check with motrin and tylenol (she can have BOTH at the same time if needed.) Motrin can be given every 6 hours and Tylenol every 4 hours.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:23 PM on May. 23, 2009

• We just got back from the doctor. The true temp was 102.8 and she has a pretty bad ear infection. So my husband's on his way to fill her prescription. Thanks for everyone's help.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 2:29 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I'm glad you followed your mommy instinct!

sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 3:06 PM on May. 23, 2009