how long medically are you supposed to wait between pregnancies for your body to heal?

susanjpt

Asked by susanjpt at 8:16 AM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Honestly I've never heard of any time you are "supposed to" wait between pregnancies. I know people who have gotten pregnant within a month of having their first child, and their doctors never once mentioned that they should have waited. There's not really anything that has to heal, if you had a healthy vaginal birth, other than if you had tearing. And that would be more than healed by the time you got pregnant and gave birth 40 weeks later.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:27 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I agree with MamaPyratekk. I know the ideal is to at least wait until you have had your six week checkup since your aren't suppose to have sex until after that, but I know many who have with no ill effects. You are actually more fertile right after giving birth.
    WatchGirl29

Answer by WatchGirl29 at 9:00 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• actually my doctor told me that my delivery was more painful this time because my body did not have time to heal. my babies are 15 months apart and the doc said that your body needs about a year to heal completly
    froghopper

Answer by froghopper at 9:20 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• My OB told me to wait at least 18 months after my c section to get prego again. I personally believe that your body does need some rest..I would think at least a year. Good luck.
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 10:26 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I don't see why having two children close together would ever make a delivery more painful. Maybe this is something I should ask in the group I'm in about close spaced siblings, because I've never heard of that ever in my life. Not saying it's not true, just have never heard it. I also think that it's something that doctors would warn you against if it were really that big of an issue.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 11:22 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• ONE YEAR!
    kimsboys

Answer by kimsboys at 1:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I don't think that it is as much about your body healing as much as it is about how close in age do you want your children to be. I plan to wait a year just to give my baby time to be the baby.
    kimmie10575

Answer by kimmie10575 at 2:20 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• my doc told me at least one year!! cuz evrything has to come back to normal size and heal speacially if youhad c-section, your skin has to heal
    shantee32

Answer by shantee32 at 2:57 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• My doc here in the uk, says about 18 months to let you totally heal and be ready, if you wish to, for the next baby.
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 3:01 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Docs say 18 months is ideal so that your body can heal and your nutritional stores can rebuild, but my doc said 2-3 months if you really want to. I had 2 months between pregnancies and will never do that again - everything was harder physically with the second except that my hips were already stretched out.
    amazon_jane21

Answer by amazon_jane21 at 9:22 PM on Jun. 21, 2008