My 2 y/o son says words but not a lot of them. Is there anyone else out there dealing with this?

He says like on, off, ball, hockey, purple, grandma.......but can't seem to pronounce L's and R's. I work with him every day but he hates when I try to teach him how to say something. His Dr said to just give him a little more time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's normal. Dont worry about it. Entirely normal. And if i were you i'd stop working with him. It may reduce his confidence. they just dont have the motor skills in their mouth yet in order to pronounce words correctly. Lellow instead of Yellow is perfectly normal. as well as almost all other mispronounciations.
    My DS is 4yrs old and he still says girler. ...idk why. but that's just how he says it.
    My DS who is now 3yrs old used to say bum f*ck when he was trying to say dump truck. Instead of correcting him, we just encouraged him to say it every time we had the chance. ...He grew out of it in about 2-3 months.
    just relax.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:31 PM on May. 23, 2009

• My son is 18 months old and were just starting to kinda understand some of the worrds he says but he leaves the end of the words off like ba for ball daw for dog du for duck well you get the idea I too am a little concerned especially sine hungry comes out ge gu?
    MoMMyto2971

Answer by MoMMyto2971 at 7:06 AM on May. 24, 2009