She use to like school?

My daughter is going to 2nd grade next year. And now she's saying she doesn't want to be a 2nd grader. She use to like school. What happened! I've asked if she's having problems in school. She says no. I ask if there is someone on the bus. She says boys are mean but thats not why she doesn't want to go. Maybe she is just nervous? How can I reassure her that it will be fine?

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 1:07 PM on May. 23, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sounds like she is nervous. Her friends are going to go with her, Make it clear to her that they will be with her. She sill have new teachers you shoudl be able to leet them ahead of time.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:11 PM on May. 23, 2009

• It is an upcoming change that she has no control over. Talk all summer, she'll be fine. I try to explain to my K class that they are going to 1st grade, but they don't quite get it.  Is she happy to go to 1st grade now, or is school ended where you are? 

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 7:18 PM on May. 23, 2009

• She was ok at the beginning of the year. Even eager to go. But now she doesn't seem to. She doesn't complain all that much. But she did say she hates school now once or twice. School ends this coming thurs.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:50 PM on May. 23, 2009

• My best guess is something happened, like a disagreement with a friend and she's feeling upset about it. Can you send a note or email the teacher? Stop by to ask her about any changes in the class? Sometimes kids don't open up to us. I hope she does better this week, and it is a short one!

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 8:10 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Salemwitchchild, Last year my son was upset because he was leaving his Kindergarten teacher and wouldn't be having her as a teacher any more. Could this be the problem with your child? Try casually asking how she feels about her teacher and does she think she will miss her...etc.
    I would talk to her teacher and see if the teacher has noticed anything. good luck
    safirejewl
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 9:18 PM on May. 23, 2009