school changed primary diagnosis on my daughters iep , now they want a meeting to discuss diagnosis primary which was originally autism spectrum what is up with this?

Now they want to meet to discuss and go over paperwork regarding change to educable mentally handicapped. which they put on that her daddy signed because they told him this would benefit her. So far I have not seen much benefit from this.
we are losing are home now , and we have been denied help for her due to are income, nowI have no one to watch her at 14 so I had to leave my job. I am sick of all this continued schools bologni (oops did I spell that right) Any advice?

tink571

Asked by tink571 at 1:33 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I assume the school changed her diagnosis because when they reevaluated her the testing showed a shift between her IQ and ability.  The school doesn't just decide to change the disability.  A psychologist tests her one on one for several hours and examines the results to determine the most accurate placement. 

Kids aren't placed in programs based on what's best for the parents. It's done based on what's most accurate.

I dont' quite understand what the school changing her IEP has to do with you getting someone to watch her?

Anonymous

• Why would the school make that decision? Shouldn't that be left to the professionals?
    Anonymous

• The school psychologist is a professional.

Anonymous

• I'd have a meeting with the principal and the IEP teacher and get specific details. Find out exactly why the change. This is your child and you have every right to get him or her the help he/she needs. Don't be intimidated.
    PinotNoir

Answer by PinotNoir at 6:40 PM on May. 23, 2009

• The school can NOT make the diagnosis, it has to be by a licensed professional mental health person. The school cannot just change the IEP without your permission and agreement. Go in for the meeting and find out why they changed anything and why you weren't in on it, you have the right to be there for any testing, evaluation, etc.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:11 PM on May. 23, 2009

• The school does make the determination of what ESE label to put on the IEP. The school psychologist does the evaluation and makes the determinationas to what disability the child will have on his or her IEP. The school psychologist is a doctor (phd not md) and a qualified professional.

As a parent you do have a right to attend the IEP meeting and give input as to what services you think will meet her needs.  The label has nothing to do with the services (at least where I teach).  The IEP is individualized to meet her needs, not generalized based on the disability.

Anonymous

• The school couldn't have made changes to the IEP without getting permission from the parent. She said her husband signed off on it.

Anonymous

• Her doctof can change her diagnosis, the school cannot. Get you doctor to put his/her opinion on paper and take it to the school. Stand by it, don't let them bully you, because they will surely try.
    LeftBrainy

Answer by LeftBrainy at 4:18 PM on May. 24, 2009

• The people who are telling you the school can't change her label on her IEP are wrong. A diagnosis and the disability on her IEP are NOT the same thing. Doctors make a medical diagnosis, the school determines the area of the learning deficit. It's not always the same thing. Just because she isn't identifying as autistic on her IEP doesn't mean they are changing her medical diagnosis. You should get information from the doctor to share with the school. You are part of the IEP team. You definitely have a say in what goes on. But the school can change the disability on her IEP.
    Anonymous

• Why do people assume the school is out to do something bad for this kid. The label of EMH will most likely get your daughter more services than Autism. I would venture to say that school knows more about what's best for the student than people online who've read one whole paragraph about her.
    Anonymous