How do I identify antique furniture? (non drama question)

This is not about food stamps or parenting or anything else drama related, so I know I wont get a lot of responses, but we recently inherited a bedroom suite that has a real vanity with it. I think its about 40-50 yrs old. Does anyone know how to go about getting a value on it? Are there websites that specifically help with this? I want to not only know what its worth, but I want to know how to take care of it. We were requested that we not sell it or let it outside the family.

momofsaee

Asked by momofsaee at 1:43 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Home & Garden

• How dare you take advantage of furniture just because it's old! You think it's old so you can make money off it. They should pass laws to prevent this kind of thing. You should be ashamed of yourself!!!!

Just kidding obviosly. It just cracked me up that you identitified this as a non-drama post. It seems like someone on here can always find the drama in anything :)

Anonymous

• LOL...thanks for the laugh. No seriously, I cant make money off it because my in laws have requested that we keep it in the family. He said if we didnt want it, then he would take it. Its certainly not sentimental to me, but its very nice. My daughter loves vintage crap. You should have seen us pilfering through my dh's grandmothers home. She only died last saturday, we buried her on Wed and already my bil and my husband were staking claim to all her sh**. I was NO, you are NOT bringing that to my house....LOL. I told them they were being disrespecful. The poor woman wasnt even buried yet and already they were looking through her things. I know they wouldnt do that if she were there, so I told him to stop. Shes got some cool stuff though. A record collection that is in MINT condition and still has plastic on it. Including Elvis records. SO cool.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:59 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I usually look at the drawers and how they are put together. If the corners look like stacked lincoln logs, then you definitely have something of value. I'm not sure what decade tho. Go to an antique mall and see what they have to give you an idea.
    rotPferd

Answer by rotPferd at 2:02 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Okay, thanks. i will look at them when I see it again. We will be picking it up in a few weeks. We wanted to let the dust settle a bit before cleaning out the house. Plus we are moving.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:20 PM on May. 23, 2009

• If the furniture is solid wood, the drawers are dovetailed and the back is actual wood, then you probably have something of value

Answer by rkoloms at 4:35 PM on May. 23, 2009