would you be mad if your childs dr told them if they watch tv they will be fat and stupid?

I sure was pissed. I can't seem to let it go. these are not words we use in our house as my kids are only 4,2, and 8 mos....my oldest had his 4 yr check up and the doctor was askign him 50 questions and told him not to watch tv cuz it will make him fat and stupid. those were her words. I just didn't know what to say. I just packed up the kids and left after he was done with the appointment. It wasn't his regular doctor so I know I can just request to have the other doctor so that part isn't a problem. it just makes me go "grrr"..cuz now he thinks it's ok to say htose things cuz his doctor said it.

saralouise

Asked by saralouise at 1:45 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would call the hospital and make a complaint about that doctor. They should not be talking like that at all!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:46 PM on May. 23, 2009

• The doctor was right, watching TV is not healthy for children, more children are obese that sit around and watch TV instead of being outside riding their bikes or playing.
    Anonymous

• No it would not upset me because my step children are proof of what the doctor said.
    Anonymous

• in a sense he's somewhat right, but first he shouldnt be saying it in those kind of words to that young of children, now, why he is kinda right. if a child sits and does nothing but watch tv all day then yes they will prolly get fat/fatter, on the other hand tv is ok to watch, there are some very educational shows on there. in general he was wrong to word it like that and they are prolly too young to hear that anyway. some kids remember that and grow up constantly watching their weight, saying their fat, dieting etc...
    tjandjenna

Answer by tjandjenna at 1:52 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I don't think she's upset over the fact that he said that too muchTV is bad for him, but the way he said it.

You don't tell a 4 year old that he is going to get fat and stupid because he watches TV. You tell the mother that they maybe watching too much TV.
    lizzeh

Answer by lizzeh at 1:54 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Was the doctor a foreign doctor? They do tend to tell it the way it is, no sugarcoating. I would not have a problem with my sons doctor telling him the truth.
    Anonymous

• yeah, liz is right. it's the words she used. I don't talk to my kids that way, why should a doctor?
    saralouise

Answer by saralouise at 2:03 PM on May. 23, 2009

• The way he explained it was uncalled for. I'd have cursed him out. No doubt about it. Then again I have zero tolerance for stupid bullshit.
    KareemsMami

Answer by KareemsMami at 2:03 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I don't usually tolerate anything like that but I was mroe in shock than anything. I was thinking about sending the office an email complaint but I dunno if that's worth it or not.
    saralouise

Answer by saralouise at 2:19 PM on May. 23, 2009

• ONE: TV does NOT make kids stupid, I would call and complain... obviously this "Dr" is not on the up and up.. because they just did a recent study of this (check out babytalk for more info).. TV does not create learning problems in ANY child.. parents do.... TV is not a learning center for children under 2 years of age, but will not slow down their learning..

so moderate TV is fine.. just not: for more than 3 hours a day (kids need exercise and interaction to help with learning skills)..
    and not before bed time and naps (causes restless sleepers, and light sleep, rather than a good long deep sleep).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:22 PM on May. 23, 2009