Should I do anything about the inappropriate behavior of kids my kids know?

I started homeschooling my kids this past school year for many reasons. I am glad I did, but they still see the same kids at the park. My neighbors 12yo dd was at the park and was approached by 2 other 6th grade girls and asked if she wanted to play a game with them and some boys (also 11-12). She said "maybe, what game?" They answered "the blow-job game" Luckily she didn't know what it was, and so she said no. She told her mom it sounded weird so she said no. NOW...I was on myspace last night and I just thought I'd look up a couple of my ds friends. Most of them have them, about 90% are inappropriate and they ALL lied about their ages-saying 18-25! I don't know the parents of these kids, and I don't know if they even care. These girls have tons of pics, usually posing with their lips puckered and their butts out. Would you do something? I am almost tempted to go to the police and hope they will tell the parents so they know.

lilpunk77

Asked by lilpunk77 at 2:15 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I just wanted to add:

I know the police probably can't do anything, but they need to be aware of what is going on at the park (like the "game") and if I had a daughter....I would want to know!!! I thought maybe there can be some type of assembly at the school or a meeting with parents to explain the dangers of what they are doing.
    I have since talked to both my older boys about this and they understand. I have even told them about STDs and how easy it is to get a girl pregnant even the first time( I was 18 ) I trust them to make better decisions then these kids. They know we care and want the best for them. I even explained that these kids are going to grow up regretting their decisions later, and I don't want them to. I have many regrets of my sexual activities as a teen. I feel so stupid about it. (Not because of the number of times, but I lost my virginity at 14 by a 19yo and I have to live with that) Sorry if its TMI :)
    lilpunk77

Answer by lilpunk77 at 2:23 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Unless they are doing something illegal, there is nothing you can do, if you want to go to the parents, then go to the parents.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:30 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I do understand your concerns. I don't know what to tell you, either. I have the same concerns about children, including my own. What they are exposed to today and the decisions they have to confront break my heart. I homeschooled my 2 oldest, but that didn't protect them from having to deal with the same things. Sometimes it delayed it a little, but this is the world they inherit. I talked to mine. I hope it helped. We fought. I stood my ground. I hope it helped. I pray for them daily. I try to set a good example. We talk about things.....not much else we CAN do.
    Anna924

Answer by Anna924 at 2:33 PM on May. 23, 2009

• You know something, we can't ( and should NOT) protect our kids from all these things, that only does a disservice to them in the end. Yes, there are certain things that we protect them from, certain rules we impose on them. But at some point they have to practice what has been preached. If you teach your child that smoking is bad and peer pressure is bad, the onyl way they will truly learn it, is by it being tested, if they "fail" then then face the consequence. We can't kleep our kids in bubbles, because when we do that, when they go out into the real world, without the comfort of mom or dad, they have a hell of a time.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:42 PM on May. 23, 2009

• The only thing you can do is go to the parents directly and hope you don't get your head knocked off. The only reason I say this is because with the way the kids are acting I'd say that the parents might not be the best example setters, so prepare yourself for the possibility of getting an attitude if you do decide to talk with them. I'd also say if and when you do approach them don't point fingers .. go in smooth and say "I just think you'd like to know, because if this was happening with my kids I'd want to know right away". I really don't think that the cops would be able to do much, maybe report them to myspace because they are under age children signing up as an adult.

Other then that the only thing you can do is what your doing now with your own kids. Good luck hun!
    Mommy2seven

Answer by Mommy2seven at 2:45 PM on May. 23, 2009

• We follow the health and safety rule; If a child is in danger, or potential danger, we call the parents.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:22 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Keep out of it and keep your kids away from them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:56 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I think the parents would want to know. I would tell them. They might thank you for it. Kids need limits and guidance and discussions about right and wrong and these kids sure sound like they have been neglected.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:11 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I would tell the child's parents what happened and let them take it from there. Too bad kids are so out of control these days. I feel awful for the next gneration.
    GrandmaConnieS

Answer by GrandmaConnieS at 1:08 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I would bring this to the attention of the parents. If more parents were aware of what there kids were doing online, they would be shocked. I would also be prepared to be the bad-guy. The parents will not be happy and try to blame anyone but the kids. My friends kid had lick me 69 as her screen name, and her parents had no idea. When her mom was told about her facebook account being not age appropriate, she just said "she has to have her privacy" She was 12. Yikes. Good luck with you situation.
    ally418

Answer by ally418 at 2:36 PM on May. 24, 2009