Did you make your teens get a job?

My MIL thinks it is just awful that I expect my teen to pay half for his car when he turns 16. I think that if you hand someone something they don't appreciate it. So, I made him get a job. He will put half his check in his savings account, which I put $100 a week in also. He keeps the other half for whatever he wants.

ronjwake

Asked by ronjwake at 2:30 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My mother never wanted me to work as a teen, she told me that my job was school. My MIL made all of her kids work, but she bought their cars, but pay for insurance and phone bills. When our DD gets old enough I am going to make her have a job. I think that there are important life lessons that you are teaching your child by having them work. You are teaching him that cars don't just fall from the sky with no attachments. Also you are teaching him to save his money, which is great! People wouldn't be so in debt if they saved a portion of their paychecks. In addition I wish my mother would have taught me to be more money savvy and pay attention. I am good with money because I made bad decisions when I was younger and I am paying for it now. I could have figured these things out as a teen and wouldn't be paying for them in my late twenties!
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 2:43 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I think that sounds like a good plan! I have a 10 yr old and, well, he doesn't work outside the house ofcourse. But he has to work for what he gets doing chores.. For example right now he wants a PSP and he's been doing some chores to pay for it.. Its worked great.. That way he know NOTHING is for free!
    VeroHi

Answer by VeroHi at 4:21 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I got a job at 14. I paid for my own everything. My son will do the same.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 6:51 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I dont' think that's bad. Like pps have said, cars don't fall out of the sky.

When i was a teen, my dad had an extra car, it was not MY car it was my parent's car. I was able to use it unless they needed it and if I wanted to drive I had to pay for the difference in insurance. I also had to pay for gas if I wanted to go anywhere. Made perfect sense to me then, and i suspect I'll do similar with my kids. IF I have an extra car LOL
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 7:41 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Well I didn't make them. I prefer that they get good better grades than support them selves. However this spring both of my daughters have jobs teaching kids to swim and they love it. My son who is 18 had a internship job last summer. He made $200 a week. He complained it was slave labor. This year he is making games and selling them on the internet to the highest bidder ($1,000) !!! I couldn't believe it. I told him sell 53 more and he can pay his own college bill. lol.
    I do believe that it is important for kids to work, it gives them self worth. It also gives them a new apprication for money. Good luck, but stand up for what you feel is right.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:16 PM on May. 23, 2009

• That would really hurt if cars fell out of the sky...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:20 AM on May. 24, 2009

• My mom didn't force my brother to get a job until he was eighteen, but she also let him stay in her house until he was 20 AND he used her car. But he had to pay rent once he turned eighteen. I'm only sixteen, but since my son is only 6 weeks old I don't feel right leaving him. I'm gonna get back into school in September, then I'll start job searching around January 2010.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 6:21 AM on May. 24, 2009

• I never made my girls work as teens, but they knew that if they wanted to go shopping, save money for special occasions, or have something to do over the summers, that they needed to have a job. They made the decision themselves to begin working at 16.
    My 20 year old has poor work ethics now, even though she has held a job since she was 16, but she hopped from job to job looking for something better. Now that she lives with us with her infant, she refuses to get a job at all and won't help out around the house, either. We finally got to the point where we refuse to give her money for anything. We feed her, provide her shelter, water, electricity, and I wash her clothes. I also watch my granddaughter whenever she feels like going out with friends (she never asks). We have been after her to get a job but she doesn't want to and we can't kick her out because the baby would suffer.
    Our 17 y/o has a job when school ends.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:05 AM on May. 24, 2009