anyone from ga and know the law?

ok so my best friend is dateing her cousin and her mom told her it was illegil and she wants to know if it is or not and if so where is it legel and the guy is her first cousin i think its complacatied cause her father and his mother are half brother and sister an idk lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Relationships

• I dont think its illegal to date a cousine weird maybe... but marriage is out of the picture.. What are they gonna do put u in jail cause ur dating a cousine.. dont see that happening but i would tell her mom to mind her own business
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 4:33 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Yeah, I am from GA and as far as I know, its illegal. I dont know how people go about enforcing this law though. Her father and his mother are half siblings? ew....That means they have at least one grandparent that is the same? Yeah, thats probably not a good idea. Biologically, its not a good idea, but like I said...I dont know how to enforce that. They likely would never get a marriage license because of that, but if they are not planning on marriage, then I guess no one would ever know?
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:05 PM on May. 23, 2009

• http://www.ncsl.org/programs/cyf/cousins.htm

check this out
    Anonymous

• no same mom dif dad
    Anonymous

• http://www.cousincouples.com/?page=states
    According to this it IS legal to marry a cousin in GA. Keep in mind that it's legal to DATE just about anyone; however, the restrictions sometimes apply when sex enters into the picture.
    Just to be sure it never hurts to call the Courthouse (if they are talking marriage) but it is NOT illegal for them to date.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:27 PM on May. 23, 2009

• According to this it IS legal to marry a cousin in GA. Keep in mind that it's legal to DATE just about anyone; however, the restrictions sometimes apply when sex enters into the picture.

True! WE debated over this topic in one of my college law classes! First cousins can marry in GA! Morally it definitely doesn't seem right!
    Anonymous

• Wouldn't their children have a hightened risk of abnormalities because of being born to first cousins? But anyways, thats definatly weird. Their family tree will come to a point.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:27 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Wow!!! I'm so proud to be from Georgia! Yee-Haw! lol I have no clue if it's against the law or not... but tell them that I'm pretty sure it's okay in Alabama! lol
    Anonymous

• it is illegal to marry a first cousin, but don't know what you can do about it.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 6:10 AM on May. 24, 2009