ceiling fans

we have a ceiling fan in our living room that is kind of broken, the fan works but the light doesnt anymore, someone must have pulled the chain too hard and broke the mechanism on the inseide- so anyways we want to buy a new one but are unsure of how to install it- have any of u ever installed one? was it easy enough to do on ur own or do u NEED to hire an electrician? we would rather not have to hire one unless totally neccesary- thanks

lovelyli217

Asked by lovelyli217 at 2:57 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Home & Garden

• My husband has put up all of ours and he's not an electrician. As long as you have some basic knowledge and can read the directions you should be fine. Just turn off the breaker first :)

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 3:03 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I think Home Depot has do-it-yourself brochures.

LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 3:37 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I installed the 1 in my kids room by myself. They aren't hard @ all.
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 3:47 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Be sure to filp the breaker or pull out the fuse first. Connect like colors to like colors. Where two wires join together, wrap with elecrical tape and cover with a wirenut.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:32 PM on May. 23, 2009

• My husband (also NOT an electrician) has installed a couple in our house. Just make sure and turn the power off first, read the directions carefully and handle the fan with care. It also helps if whoever is going to install it is at least a little bit handy.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:24 PM on May. 25, 2009