Are my step children related to my parents?

My parents love my step children and include them as a part of our family. My husband's ex-wife continues to say that the children are not related to my family. I know they are not related by blood, but are they not related by marriage??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Relationships

• I would consider them step grandparents and if they get along that's cool.

Anonymous

• I'd say connected but not related, although if there is such love, why not just go ahead and call it a relation. And if the children want to call them Grandma and Grandpa- go for it. My son's stepchildren, we have them call us Grandma and Grandpa.

Answer by Bmat at 2:59 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Not biologically, but family is who loves you and cares about you, not necessarily blood. I put no stock in blood. If your parents love them, then gosh, why would she care? Thats just two more people in their life to love them and pour good things into them. Sounds like shes either jealous or not over that relationship. Anyone who wants to care about my kids in a genuine way and treat them as family has my blessing.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:02 PM on May. 23, 2009

• It makes me crazy when stupid exes try to ruin great relationships. My ex-SIL ruined a relationship my brother had with a woman who would have been a wonderful step-mother to their children. Meanwhile, she was messing around with a jerk who abuses her.

Same thing here. The ex doesn't want her children to be close to the new family because she is too jealous and self-centered to think of what is best for her children.

Does an an adopted child not become a part of the family they are adopted into? It would be really sad if not.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 3:14 PM on May. 23, 2009

• One word answer "no!".. but it would be up to your parents on how they decided to be connected to them.
    Anonymous

• well they are their step grandparents, I swear with the exs you are always damned if you do damned if you dont, and really it just sounds like she is jealous
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 5:03 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Every family is different when it comes to step children. Legally and blood wise they are not related to your parents in any way. That does not mean that your parents can't treat them like any of their other grandchildren! Does she say what she has an issue with? Maybe it is with them calling your parents grandma and grandpa. You may consider having the kids call them something else if that is it. If she is just trying to make trouble then ignore it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:20 PM on May. 23, 2009

• My stepsons call my parents Grandma and Grandpa. Those names are not currently in use by anyone else's parents, and it's what my parents' other grandchildren already call them, so the stepkids fit in with all the other kids.

Why is she trying so hard to separate the children from thinking of your parents as family?
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 6:15 PM on May. 23, 2009

• They aren't even related to you. They are your husbands children.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 8:56 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I always considerd my stepmoms family part of my family. Same with my stepdad. I am verry close to them some more then my own blood related family. They are my aunts uncles cousins and grandparents. But thats just how i am it depends on the person. My mom didnt feel that they were my family but i did and thats all that matterd. Some of my friends are like family to me. But like i said thats just the kind of person that i am. It depends on how the kid sees it not their mother.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 9:20 PM on May. 23, 2009