The Church of Oprah? Anyone a member?

I just watched a video about Oprah's spiritual beliefs. It is from a Christian perspective I must admitt. But I know that some of you believe in Christ Consiousness.

What do you think about what she says, compared with the verses in the Bible that contradict it? Do you really believe that Christians are misinterpreting so many scriptures? What do you think of Eckhart Tolle?

Have any of you had your beliefs influenced by Oprah?

Just bored and wanting a conversation. No bashing.

I will post the link below : )

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 3:06 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i stopped watching her a long time ago... her beliefs are very new age and go against my beliefs. nope not joining or watching "the church of Oprah".. the scary part is the influence she has on so many ppl.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 3:38 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:07 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Honestly, I know very little about her beliefs. I thought they were new age-y but since Im not a fan I can definately tell you I wouldnt join her church LOL.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:35 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Zero of my beliefs have been influenced by Oprah. In fact, I never watched her or paid any attention to her at all until I heard she was interviewing Tolle - she got a lot more interesting after that. Tolle's Power of Now is amazing!

Not being Christian, if something contradicts the Bible, it doesn't mean much to me - especially if it is simply contradicting popular interpretation of the Bible. I personally think that much in the Bible - OT and NT, particularly the words attributed to Jesus, is not contradicted at all by the "New Age" ideas that so many are so afraid of... in fact, I think Jesus was pretty New Age for his time.

Truth is what matters to me, and that can be revealed in many sources IMO.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:00 PM on May. 23, 2009

• PS I still don't watch Oprah, and I don't consider her a "teacher".
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:03 PM on May. 23, 2009

• i dont believe in that crap and that is what it is crap... We are not gods.. There is only one true God and i cant believe she even started a church its messed up.. I have a journal about it for anyone wants to check it out on my page God bless

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 4:32 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Wait, do people actually believe there is a literal "church of Oprah" that she started?? Wow...folks, it's not literal... there is NO "Church of Oprah" ... there is no "doctrine of Oprah"... those are metaphors, phrases used by Christians to paint a picture that other Christians would understand and have a certain response to.

And if someone said that the idea that there was only one God, a man made of spirit living in the sky, was "crap" I'm pretty sure that would be seen as offensive. So to say that believing that the spirit of god resides in all of us, that we are all part of the Divine, and expressions of the Sacred, is "crap" is hateful. Being hateful is against my beliefs, but apparently not yours. It seems to be a large part of the Christian practice, belittling other people.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:40 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I think she's pretty much like the rest of us: trying to figure it all out. She seems like a good person, wants to do good in the world. Has plenty of money and a forum to make a huge difference. I don't know a whole lot about her religious beliefs except that she seems to take what she finds good out of most religions.
    Anna924

Answer by Anna924 at 4:42 PM on May. 23, 2009

• She is Def New Age all the Way...

ANNA
    HEAVENANDUS7

Answer by HEAVENANDUS7 at 4:48 PM on May. 23, 2009

• It is obvious that she doesn't have her own church literally. But I do believe that she has made herself into some religious guru. There are so many women who look to her right now as their source of spiritual wisdom.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 4:53 PM on May. 23, 2009