Would you buy maternity clothes from a thrift store?

My husband and I just got married, we have a 3 year old son and a baby due in October. Money is extremely tight right now cause I have HG and he is the only one working. We have an awesome looking thrift store here in our town and I was wondering if any of you bargain mom's have ever found nice clothing (not just maternity but for the kids too) from consignment/thrift stores!?

junebaby850

Asked by junebaby850 at 3:07 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Shopping

• I got my son ton's of stuff from a thrift store, you can find stuff that are brand new or close to brand new for like .99. kids grow so fast that it crazy in my eyes not to bargin shop. I mean i will not let my son wear clothes that have stains, and make sure he looks cute and alotof his clothes are from a thrift store(no one will even know unless you tell them, lol i brag to my family how much i saved), also they have days where the clothes are 50% off!! Also you can get some cute clothes on ebay! i sold 35+ lot of cute infant stuff for $15 and you also can find maternity clothes on there also. Now a days you have to bargin shop! no shame in saving money!
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 4:21 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I will buy anything second hand except shoes.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:08 PM on May. 23, 2009

• i agree with the first poster. Anything but shoes and underware.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:18 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I buy anything that can go in the wash machine! with shoes you can wash them and let them hang dry.. but I only buy them for play shoes and if they are in good condition.

I am a thrift store/consignment store/yard sale/bargin mommy! These days you kinda have to be :)

Congrats on your pregnancy!
    Mommy2seven

Answer by Mommy2seven at 3:53 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I have never bought maternity clotes but yeah I would if I used them. I always put a scrunchy around the button hole and wraped the other end around the button. I could wear my old clothes not buy maternity plus still not buy clothes afterward.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 4:23 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I got most of my maternity clothes from my sister and... Bf's step-dad's sister. I also went to the thrift store and got maternity stuff. The ones by me have pretty nice stuff, mostly because my area is surrounded with the "yuppie" communities, with the "rich" ladies that wear an outfit once and give it to salvation army or goodwill.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on May. 24, 2009

• me and my mom went n got few out fits there for my son i got large clothes not paternity clothes there we bought r couch from there we go almost 1 twice a month!but my sons fathers mom would never buy him those clothes or let alone wear them!but shes superficial.....me im low on money n he'll wear it wat 20 30 times n thts probly how many time the first kid wore it....cus if ur childs anythin like mine hes in 3 to 4 t n hes 2 in august!so he grows about an inch or two a month it seems like lol!
    mamabear0824

Answer by mamabear0824 at 11:55 AM on May. 24, 2009

• Maternity clothes, yes, because you will only wear them for a few months anyway, and often you can find some that were only used by one mother, so they are like new. Not underwear or shoes though, and not baby clothes or kid's clothes.
    Anonymous

• My maternity clothes were a mix of new, borrowed from friends, and consignment store finds. The stuff I got from the consignment store was every bit as nice as the stuff I bought new, and it was a good money saver! I agree with a PP about buying kids' clothes lots on Ebay - that is a very economical way to do things!
    jmcgladr

Answer by jmcgladr at 12:14 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Absolutely! I think it makes so much more sense to recycle maternity clothes than buy new when they are only worn for a couple of months.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:21 PM on May. 24, 2009