How do I keep my 8 month old sleeping all night in her crib? I am looking for suggestions aside from letting her cry it out.

She goes down for bed in her crib without trouble, but wakes in the night and screams when we put her back to sleep in the crib and ends up in bed with us.

jel531

Asked by jel531 at 8:19 AM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I read somewhere that you shoud sooth her in anyway you can other than actually picking her up out of the crib. Also, I know that you stated you didn't want to hear this, but at 8m old it is perfectly OK to let her cry it out a little bit. I hate hearing my son cry, but if you check on them in 5m intervals, it makes it a little easier. Good luck!
    jtgraham

Answer by jtgraham at 8:25 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I know letting her cry it out sounds cruel, but it does work. Ask your ped about the proper intervals. It takes hard work & consistence, but, trust me, it will work. Good luck!
    gaamom

Answer by gaamom at 8:54 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I'm a firm believer in cio method, especially at 8 months. it is ok..they will not be damaged for life if they cry..the problem that you are creating by letting her get into bed with you at night will haunt you until they are 8 or 9! try giving them a bottle and putting them back in their crib..let them cry for 5 minutes go in and soothe her..next time wait 7 minutes..etc..they will calm down and fall asleep. the first couple of nights are the hardest, but they are manipulative little buggers! hug em and squeeze em and love em..but if you dont get your rest they will get on your nerves and thats not good for anyone!
    froghopper

Answer by froghopper at 9:18 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• i hated to hear a baby cry,maybe that's y mine never slept in their crib!(lol!) try a good bath before a feeding,soft music(mobile) it worked for me!
    kimsboys

Answer by kimsboys at 1:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• If she wakes up in the middle of the night, there's a reason behind it! Does she eat a bottle or breastfeed when she wakes up? Do you go to her immediately when she stirs? Because she may just be stirring and may go back to sleep on her own even if she does cry for 2 or 3 min. Does she have a nightlight in her room? My DS did that around her age and we found out he would wake up in a pitch black room and he was scared. We got a nightlight and if he stirred he whined and would go back to sleep instead of screaming bloody murder.
    schmoo_mommy

Answer by schmoo_mommy at 1:56 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• With mine I try to sooth him back to sleep and then put him in his crib again(not always easy). I do know this and that is with my first son I gave in and let him co sleep just so I could sleep. It took me until he was almost ten to get him to stay in his own bed at night( will never do that again) Best of luck to you.
    kimmie10575

Answer by kimmie10575 at 2:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I kiow what you're saying about crying it out but it worked wonders for us, I was like a zombie from all the sleepless nights so at around 8months we used that method. The key thing is not to pick the child up, just to pat them and make shushing noises and like someone else said, check on them in intervals. But just do not pick them up then that way the know they have to stay in their own bed and eventually (it took us 3 nights) they will sleep thru
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 2:58 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• if i were you give her some formula
    if she wake up she maybe hungry.
    or give to her before bedtime.
    I give my daughter her formula at night before she in bed and she has sleep thought the night without waking up during the night. So give her some milk or formula.
    mommytobe24

Answer by mommytobe24 at 5:31 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• when my DD wakes up i get her in bed with me just long enough to breastfeed her and bop her back to sleep, then i pick her up and put her back in the crib. granted sometimes we both end up passing out in the bed, it works for us.
    kelcee_eric_bry

Answer by kelcee_eric_bry at 9:02 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• lol ima a bad one to ask my 3 yr old little girl sleeps with me and my husband every night! i remeber being a little girl once too and bein scared all alone in a bed without mommy and daddy around sooo obviously i dont belive in the cry it out method either lol...butttt it does work sometimes lol...me and u are just softies dont have enough sterness to make them cry it out
    ShYmAmA08

Answer by ShYmAmA08 at 9:58 PM on Jun. 21, 2008