ok ladies quickly tell me good ideas of how to keep a fever down my friends baby is 3 yrs old and has a 103.5 fever took her to the hospital and it had went back down they gave her motrin then went back up at about 8 this morning took her to the dr and he said its a lil virus and that its going to keep going up and down any helpful tips

m.wallace

Asked by m.wallace at 3:23 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When my dd had a stubborn fever my dr. told me to give her motrin every 6 hrs and tylenol every 4 hours. Check with her Dr. of course but my dr. said they can be combined. A cool bath may help also. Lots of fluids and keep her warm.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 3:28 PM on May. 23, 2009

• alternate tylenol and motrin, also a fever is the body's natural defence against a virus, so a fever isn't always a bad thing
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 3:30 PM on May. 23, 2009

• as pp said stagger both tylenol and motrin so there is something fighting the fever all the time.. As for keeping her warm DONT DO THAT, IT WILL CAUSE THE FEVER TO RISE. If she is cold, cover her, but if she is feeling hot and doesnt want blankets leave her uncovered.Fluids, popcicles, anything with alot of fluid in it, like watermelon if there is no vomiting. Also cool compresses. I would say tho if the fever keeps going that high, go back to the er or call the childs doctor for more advice.lso you can submerge the child in a luke warm, not hot or cold bath to try to cool her body temp, or an alcohol bath(it instantly cools the skin)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:33 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Try an alcohol bath. Wipe the childs forehead, feet, neck and arm pits with alcohol. It will cause the pores to open and make him sweat it out. Alternate tylenol and motrin and keep him dressed cool, lost of fluids and soak him in a luke warm tub
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 3:44 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I used to put a damp cool cloth on the baby's head, tummy, and neck.

Answer by Bmat at 3:59 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I just took my 5 yr. old daughter yesterday to the dr. bc I was concern for her as well she kept getting a fever of a 99.1- a 101.3 every other night I was just alternating Tylenol and Motrin every 2 hours it seemed to help but I still had her checked out (bc she has been going through this for 3 wks off and on) sure enough it is going around the flu/allergyies. He prescribe some anitbiotics and some cough medicine bc she could not stop coughing it was annoying for her and me...lol
    And a cold rag on the forehead seems to help too. I hope your little one feels better soon. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:35 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Do NOT give an alcohol bath. I work for this Children's Hospital and they have great online advice for fevers. Click the treat at home tab

http://www.seattlechildrens.org/child_health_safety/health_advice/fever.asp

a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 7:10 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I heard from somewhere that a fever is fighting off the something, so we should let it do what it need to do. so cooling them down (other than useing the meds) can sometimes make the fever keep climbing. keep a close eye on her, give her lost of fluids. if your still worried go back to the ER or call the childs doctor for more advice
    northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 9:08 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Its supposed to go up and down. Google fever and read a few articals on how a fever functions. There is no need to bring it down as long as he is drinking fluids and is coheareant. 103.5 is only considered a moderate fever, don't fight his body and draw out the process. I rarely every lower a fever, my second when he gets fevers will run at 104. But were his peers will be sick for a week with the same crud, he will be done and over with it in 48 hours. Same with all my kids.

Just comfort and push fluids.... and don't bundle.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:57 PM on May. 23, 2009

• You can alternate Motrin and Tylenol. The pediatrician told me to give Motrin, then three hours later the Tylenol, then Motrin another 3 hours later. So every 3 hours alternate. It works for when my dd has fevers. Also, don't keep her covered too much. If she is chilly give her a sheet and keep her dressed in light cotton pants/shorts and a teeshirt. nothing too warm because heating her up can cause the fever to rise. She's been to the doctor so you guys know its not too serious. Just watch the fever and if its not going down at all with the meds I would take her back in.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:11 AM on May. 24, 2009