No Dirty Diaper In A Week?!

I have been to the doctor about this already. But I am EBF and the doctor said it's normal to not have a dirty diaper for 2-3 days. After my DD was about 2 weeks old(she is now 6 1/2 weeks) she started having them every 3-4 days. But she hasn't gone is a week! Has anyone who breastfed in the past or is now, ever had this problem? What did your child's doctor say? Should I go back?

MadisonsMom0408

Asked by MadisonsMom0408 at 4:02 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• From http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bm.html
    "It is normal for the bowel movements of a breastfed to decrease in frequency when the colostrum, which has laxative properties, is completely gone from the mother's milk after about six weeks of age. A baby this age may continue to have bowel movements as frequently as five times a day, sometimes even after every nursing. It is also normal for a breastfed baby older than six weeks to have only one bowel movement every few days. Some healthy babies will have only one bowel movement a week. When bowel movements are less frequent, they should be more profuse in volume. As long as the baby is gaining well, wetting sufficiently, and is happy and content there is no cause to be alarmed by infrequent bowel movements, and it is not necessary to give the baby a laxative, fruit juice, or any other "helpers." In fact, attempting to force bowel movements can have harmful consequences to your baby."
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:44 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Oh..and she has 12-15, sometimes more wet diapers, just not dirty!!
    MadisonsMom0408

Answer by MadisonsMom0408 at 4:07 PM on May. 23, 2009

• This is normal don't worry about it. The most I would do is have her weighed and make sure she is gaining weight. But if she is having enough wet diapers every day, she is doing fine.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 4:07 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Okay so telling you not to worry sounded kind of condescending. I am sorry about that. This is fairly normal though, my daughter did this for months. She will probably poop in the next few days, but with that many wet diapers, she is getting plenty to eat.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 4:08 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I was told that I could give mine pedi lite w/castor oil it helped mine. I was only able to BF for 3 months. Good Luck!
    mommyhero

Answer by mommyhero at 4:50 PM on May. 23, 2009

• EBF babies can safely go up to 10 days before having a bowel movement, as long as when they do, it is not dry, hard, or pellet like. No need to worry, or do anything.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:01 PM on May. 23, 2009

• My son is breastfed and before he started on baby food was only going one time per week. I was worried at first but the doctor said they can go 1-2 weeks and it's fine as long as they are comfortable. My son would get fussy around day 7-8 and then I would give a suppository to get things going.
    Things to try first... message her belly in the tub, bicycle her legs, rectal stimulation... try a rectal temp first, see if that makes her go... if not you can use a lubed up pinky and gently insert it a tiny bit and it should cause her to push. (watch out... all of these get MESSY!)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:09 PM on May. 23, 2009

• First, extended breastfeeding is past the age of two.
    If by not having dirty diapers you mean not having a bowel movement, this is not unusual if you have not yet introduced solids. . When my daughter was only getting breastmilk, she would often go more that a week without a bowel movement. The reason for this is simple; breastmilk is a perfect food with very little waste.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:47 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Breastfed babies digest the milk almost fully, so theres no real waste to speak of, they can go up to 10-13 days with no poop to speak of as long as they are not in any pain or straining to go, call and ask a LC about Bf baby info, pediatricians are kinda idiots when it comes to BFing, they got a 2 hour training session in school if that because its optional...thats from MY pediatrician...she went back and also is an IBCLC too
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 6:49 PM on May. 23, 2009

• rkoloms-by EBFing she meant exclusive bresatfeeding not extended breastfeeding...and extended breastfeeding is breastfeeding past the age of 12 months...
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 6:51 PM on May. 23, 2009