BFing and Tats?

I am still BFing my 8 month old but I really want to get another tattoo. Is this even possible?

jamesnkevsmommy

Asked by jamesnkevsmommy at 4:11 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yep... it's best to wait until your nursling is 12 mos (or some say 18 mos) but it's safe. Risk of infection might be higher, and in the early months following birth I've heard that chances of color changes or strange scarring can be higher. Many tattoo artists want you to wait - even if there's no real risk of infection, they don't want to do work that will just be ruined because your body is postpartum. However, it's probably fine for you now, but you might just want to wait a few months.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:21 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Whats MORE important too ya?
    Anonymous

• Why does asking if it's safe to get tattooed while still nursing imply that you don't care about your child?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:59 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 5:00 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Safe yes, smart not really. Your body is probably still working at getting back to normal so I would wait until about a year PP to do it in case your skin sags or stretches in ways that would make it look bad. i got one after 18 months and my daughter is now 23 months and still nursing.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:02 PM on May. 23, 2009

• For the most part they have not found anything saying that it can really be harmful, HOWEVER its NOT recommended, and honestly its hard to find an artist that will do it for you while breastfeeding too, I say its better to just wait.

hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 5:16 PM on May. 23, 2009

• go for it. I talked to my doctor and the tattoo artist. I just got a tattoo the other day on my chest and I'm breast feeding. It's safe. If u can afford it kid and a tattoo then go for it :)
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 5:27 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I would think the only posible issue would be with healing.

I got some work done the day before I found out I was pregnant with my youngest, and it just healed a little funky. I lost a good bit of color, but it's not anything that can't be fixed.
    MrsBlack530

Answer by MrsBlack530 at 7:12 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I would wait, mostly because at 8 months, your body is still changing back/around and it could really effect the tattoo I'd think. I'm not a tattoo fan though, so I'm not super educated on that subject, just know that the body is still shifting and its been over a year.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 7:26 PM on May. 23, 2009