Do your kids that are 5 or more years apart get along?

My son is 13 months and I want to wait 5 or 6 years for #2 so I can finish college and get a good job and work for one or two years. But everyone tells me that's too long and the 2 kids won't be close.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on May. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• My 2 children are 6 1/2 years apart (just happened that way--not planned) and they actually squabbled less than my siblings and I did and we were practically every 2 years. They got closer by the time my daughter was in high school and my son was in Jr. High, and now they are best friends and confidants at 33 and 26.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 4:23 PM on May. 23, 2009

• My sister is 11 years older than me. I cannot stand her, but it probably has nothing to do with the age difference. Still, we were never close because she was busy with her own life when my younger sister and I were growing up. My DD and DS's half brother is 9 and 11 years older than they are and I do not forsee them being close with him at all. He is only here part time anyway. He is basically going to always be the "only child" and my kids will have each other. My DH and his brother are about 6 years apart and they were close enough growing up. I think it just depends.
    Anonymous

• Me and my sister are 13 yrs apart. I felt guilty leaving her when i went away to college. It took a long time for us to get close again. By the time she graduated high school, i was married, so i moved her in with me and my family so she could go to school. Now we are best friends. Who knows when she'll leave! LOL
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 5:56 PM on May. 23, 2009

• my oldest 2 are 15 and 12. The baby is 3. They will both tell you the baby is their favorite and play so well with her. They however do not play nice.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 6:48 PM on May. 23, 2009

• My brother is 5 years younger than me and I can't stand him but I doubt that has anything to do with the time span, more likely it is because he is a loser. He does nothing to find a job and spends all his time on a bar stool. He has 2 beautiful daughters that he rarely sees. My oldest niece was in a concert and had a solo and he didn't even go see her because he didn't want to leave the bar.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:25 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I can answer from 2 perspectives. My siblings and myself are 7, 19 and 21 years apart. I can say that I was never very close to the one closes to me, we were on two seperate playing fields, I was a teen she was an annoying little sister always getting into my crap (which is normal) the next two are less like siblings to me, I get to tell them off like a sister when needed but at the same time I acome across more motherly.

Now my kids are 17, 16, 16 15, 7, 5 and 2 and one on the way. I kinda had the same fears, that's why we had two more after the 7 year old (the one on the way was a SURPRISE) But the older ones do pretty well with the younger ones. They have thier moments of course, the older ones are teen and the little ones can be annoying but over all they are a LOT of help (because they choose to....most of the time :) ) I think it is more about personality then the age difference.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 8:07 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I have a 7 YO and a 21 month old! At this point there is some jealousy with both but things are ok. I guess when they get older that may change, but I hope not.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:52 PM on May. 23, 2009