Add another to the cult list

So the Jsw and LDS have been getting called cults alot lately because they have extra information other than the bible that they follow. And because they do not follow the "normal"christian teachings. So are athiests in a cult? We don't believe in the bible at all and believe many other books as true. Are the earthen religions cults too? They not only don't follow the bible but they definatly have many diffrent gods (and goddesses oh my) that they believe in before they would put faith in god or the bible. So who all is a cult any one that does not buy into your brand of faith? Yes if you look at the technical term of cult you will see that all faiths could be put in it. So if you are going to sugar coat it like that than why not admit that your brand of faith is also a cult? Maybe because it means more to you than you are admiting when you are putting others down?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Thank you! I agree people have used the word Cult to give a bad name to other religions/beliefs. We should all just be accepting, and allow people to believe as they choose!
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 4:24 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Yep, I'm in the most disorganized cult in the world... we have ZERO central leadership. Silly cultists, seeking a relationship with the Divine instead of relying on the words and rules of humans.......

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:25 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Sorry I hit the annon button I have little ones helping me type. And now one is asking for koolaid. Sorry had to share the last part I am still laughing over it.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 4:30 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Hey I am in a cult of one, I am a solitary wiccan
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 4:32 PM on May. 23, 2009

• A cult of Christianity is a group of people, which claiming to be Christian, embraces a particular doctrinal system taught by an individual leader, group of leaders, or organization, which (system) denies (either explicitly or implicitly) one or more of the central doctrines of the Christian faith as taught in the sixty-six books of the Bible.

Anonymous

• I don't think a cult is a group that has "extra" books. It's a group that usually has an extreme devotion to a person and their ideas and movements/works.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 4:49 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I think people are mixing the word cult with occult. Christianity is considered a cult by the dictionary term. Occult is the bad name. Occults are the ones that are secretive and do things that are questionable.

People should be aware of the false prophets that we were warned of in both either cult or occult. They are everywhere. God bless

mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 4:52 PM on May. 23, 2009

• The bible itself contradicts the practicesin other books of the bible. It is all in how you read and interpret something that has been translated and retranslated multiple times.  If you sit down and read the diffrent bieliefs of these two faiths with an open mind you might be able to see how their conclusions do go along with the bible if it is interpreted in a certain way.  You don't have to agree with the way they see things to see how it is possible.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 4:55 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Oh lord a website says all these different religions are cults, so of course they must be........eye rolling

wikipedia has a 'cult checklist' that I thought was interesting. I really don't see why we need to label any group as a cult. There are tons of definitions for the word and it can be used to label pretty much any group of people   

soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 4:56 PM on May. 23, 2009

• yep they are are cults. what of it?
    Anonymous