Am I just odd?

Well, I keep seeing women say that their epi or spinal block hurt, but I din't even any of mine (I had one epi and two blocks). Is that odd? Or, is it more of a mind over matter thing?
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 4:23 PM on May. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• You probably had a very skilled anesthesiologist...mine didn't hurt either, and years earlier I had a spinal tap, and I just had tenderness afterwards, but the process wasn't painful.

I DO think if you focus on positive things, talk to someone, sing a song, whatever, during an epidural (or similar procedure) especially if you're nervous, you CAN "block" out pain. I definitely think mind over matter plays a significant role in cases like that.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:43 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I had an epi and it didn't hurt. It took longer for me to recover afterwards, but my epi totally calmed me down! I don't think it's odd at all. I'm sure it's part mind over matter, but also how different bodies react to different things.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 4:27 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I had an epi also and it didn't hurt at all! actually I told the nurses to keep putting that steral tape on me and rip it off everytime I had a contraction b/c it was distracting,lol.
    Anonymous

• If it were a true mind over matter thing for the women who choose pain meds during child birth then they would be able to do it naturally.
    There are risks to having these drugs and one of the risks is that it might be painful and not even work, or make it worse than if it were done naturally. I had a late stage epi for about an hour and it never hurt. It made my labor a little longer than if I had powered through it and it made my blood pressure drop so low they were amazed I was conscious.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 4:44 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Progenitor, do you have any idea WHY I had my epi and block? Didn't think so. Since you seem to think you know everything, I will enlighten you as to WHY I had them I had THREE c-sections. The first, yeah, I was a chicken, But god am I glad I got the epi. He ended up being an emergency c-section (and, no, it wasn't because I got lazy either!). The other two ended up being planned.
    You shouldn't assume because we all know what you make outta you and me. I just posted this question to get a general idea if my experience was norml. Not to get the opinion of people who think I am just weak or lazy!
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 5:28 PM on May. 23, 2009

• An epidural is not the benign procedure that many women believe. The side effects can last a year. It is so important to do research and read facts (not opinions) before having any medical procedure done.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:55 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I had an epi and it didn't hurt either. I had no issues and if I were to have another child I would be getting another epi.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:21 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I had an epi with my son at 6.5 cen. and I sure didn't feel it. I had other thing to think about at the time. With DD She was a schedualed C-Sec so I was a wake and only having mild-mod. Contractions so I totally felt that one and it was more than a pinch for sure but not horrible.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:36 PM on May. 23, 2009

• They warned me it was going to hurt really bad, it didn't. I guess I'm odd too! LOL
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:50 PM on May. 23, 2009