Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you dealt with the immigration process recently?

**PLEASE NOTE If you feel like bashing or going on an anti-illegal immigrant rant, please do it elsewhere. This is NOT a drama post.
My husband's parents brought him here to the US when he was a baby. He has lived and grown up here in the US nearly his whole life. His first language is English and is not fluent in his native language. We have been trying to get him a "green card" for four years now, ever since we have been married. We have put thousands of dollars into this process and a lot of time. We were recently informed by the department of state that in order for him to get a Visa he must go back to his "home" country to go to an interview. During that interview it will be determined when, or even if, he is allowed to get a Visa and be allowed back home here in the US. After many hours on the phone waiting I finally got through to some one and he said this is the ONLY way for my husband to get a visa.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:31 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Answers (40)
  • To travel and indefinetly stay in his "home" country would be an extreme burden on us. Financially, it seems impossible. We have two young children and taking them to a foreign country for an unknown amount of time is ridiculous. On top of that I would have to leave my job, our house, family, and everything else. How are we supposed to pay for our mortgage and billls if I have to leave our only source of income? How can we pay for a trip, a hotel stay (for who knows how long), food, and every other living expense in a foreign country without any income? We were told that after he is approved for his visa the wait to get it could be anywhere from 3 months to ten YEARS! In the best case senario of 3 months would be financially impossible. Where are we supposed to live for 3 months? What about our house?

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on May. 23, 2009

  • The person I talked to in the department of state said there is NO possible way we can have this interview here in the US. Has anyone else had to deal with this? What did you do? I am looking for people who have dealt with this recently since the process changes so often.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on May. 23, 2009

  • My Husband moved here 10 yrs ago from England and has permanent residency. Why can't your husband apply for that? I'm not up on the lawsso I could be wrong in your case... You might want to consult an attorney for better legal advice. GL to you and your family...

    Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:45 PM on May. 23, 2009

  • My husband came here on a scholarship to go to college. We got married as soon as he finished and a few months later his visa expired. The only thing we did, was make an appointment to apply for a green card, he went through the process and eventually received it . Here in U.S. I dont understand why he has to go back to his home. Are you an American Citizen? He should be able to apply for a green card right now if you are. Anyway, the only thing i can advise you to do is get a lawyer, that might make things a little easier. Good Luck though.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:46 PM on May. 23, 2009

  • my friend from new zealand didnt have to go back home he got his card no prblem and now works with my husband

    Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:56 PM on May. 23, 2009

  • OP--- Mrsleftlane Yes we are in the process of applying for permanent residency, that is what we have been trying to do the last 4 years.
    Anon :46 Yes I am an American citizen. And we applied to get his "green card" four years ago and have been working through the process ever since. I don't understand why we would have to go back to his "home" country either. He will not be allowed back in the US until he gets his visa and that process could take months, even years.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on May. 23, 2009

  • Let me get this straight OP... you married an illegal and now you are here asking for help and looking for sympathy from us?? And to make it worse you brought innocent children into the situation? You knew what you were doing when you married him and choose to have children with him. Now you have to face the consequences. He is ILLEGAL. He SHOULD be sent back to where he is from. You are no better than a woman who chooses to have children with a drug dealing criminal and then complains because he was sent to prison. Your husband is a criminal and you are stupid for being with him.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on May. 23, 2009

  • May I ask.... what is your husband's "native country"??

    Answer by brandyj at 5:02 PM on May. 23, 2009

  • My Husband has an immigration attorney, you should check into one.

    Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:04 PM on May. 23, 2009

  • What does an immigration attorney do? We got one when we first started this, but she charged us over $500 just to send the paperwork in the mail. We did everything, all she did was drop it off in the post office. Has anyone hired a lawyer for a situation like ours? If so, what did the lawyer do to help? Would a lawyer be able to change the appointment here to the US? The people I have talked to in the Department of State have told me there is NO POSSIBLE way to get an interview here in the US.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on May. 23, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.