Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


What can I do for this little thing. It has a little cut on its wing and throught area. I have handfed birds at a pet store i worked at but never a wild bird! any advice on what to do? What to feed it?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Pets

Answers (11)
  • I would guess you should just treat it like you would one of your pet store birds. Probably some crickets or earth worms from a pet store to feed it. I coubt a baby could eat seads and such. Probably chopped up earth worms and you will need to hand feed it most likely. I hope it makes it! Good luck! oh and if you google baby woodpecker care I'm sure you will find lots of info

    Answer by mrsbvader at 4:42 PM on May. 23, 2009

  • Google up what to feel baby woodpeckers.
    There might be some like at home recipe or something.

    Answer by CamiiiCompasion at 4:49 PM on May. 23, 2009

  • Why don't you put the poor thing out of it's misery? If it is injured it is very unlikely that you will be able to release it back into the wild. And besides a woodpecker isn't really a bird you could keep as a pet. It will probably starve or die of the injury before it makes a full recovery. If it does recover what will you do with it? If it gets use to humans it probably won't know to stay away from them and end up being killed by a house cat or dog.
    JMO, it might be better for the poor thing if you humanly euthanize it.

    Answer by Nathskitten at 5:22 PM on May. 23, 2009

  • It depends on how bad it is if it is bad then it should be taken in to a vet or some thing but if you can rehabilitate it then it needs bugs and worms but you will have to mash them good if its a baby cause thats what its mom would do unless of course you want to chew it up and spit it into its mouth your self LOL! Good Luck

    Answer by BellahMom at 5:44 PM on May. 23, 2009

  • Google wildlife rehabilitation for your area.

    Here, we have the Texas Rehabilitation Coalition. They have a "main" location in Houston where you can drop off injured wildlife & also have volunteers spread throughout the area who you can call directly & take the animal to their home for help.

    Answer by Laura1229 at 5:59 PM on May. 23, 2009

  • I agree with Laura....look up wildlife rehab in your area. There is one in my area as well and they would have more in depth knowledge on wild birds and how to care for them so that they may be released into the wild later on.

    Answer by lucindamartinez at 8:05 PM on May. 23, 2009

  • Its the same as birds in the petstore...put him in a shoebox or cage of some kind....put a towel or hay if you have it and you can feed some plain yogurt and just give him time to heal....thats all he probably needs. I have done this with MANY wild birds....

    Answer by calliesmommie at 8:55 PM on May. 23, 2009

  • Do you have a Wildlife center in your area? I would try to contact them. If not call the pet store and see what you can feed it. Goodluck!

    Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:18 PM on May. 24, 2009

  • Call your humian society. They usually have people on a list that will come get wild animals and nurse them back to health. My dog almost killed 7 baby rabbits before I got her ( she's a Weimeriner,it's in her blood, so can't get mad) I called them and they had a "rabbit lady" She came out got the survivers including a very damaged baby and nursed them all back to health.

    Answer by Liamsmom09 at 11:35 AM on May. 25, 2009

  • Feed it some dry dog food with water.I had a wild baby bird and I googled it, it also said not to feed them worms / bugs I didnt know that , that was my first guess.Good luck!

    Answer by IloveJesus316 at 1:35 PM on May. 27, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.