How do you stop a child from playing in their poopy diaper?

My daughter has this thing with going poop when I THINK she is in her room napping. I have tried listening at the door but she is so quiet, I think she is sleeping. Then when she calls me, and I THINK she woke up....I go in there and there is poop all over the place. She has been doing this for about 4-5 months now and I don't know what to do about it. I have tried time out, even spanking. I really don't like spanking. What else can I do? Please help me!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried putting pajama pants on her before naps, so she is not just in diapers? My daughter for a while was pulling clothes out of her drawer, and after the second time I made her clean it up. I made her put everything back into the drawer. I of course had to go back later and refold everything, but she learned her lesson and doesn't do it anymore. Maybe having your DD sit there with you and clean up and talk to her while you are "helping" her do it. Telling her that it isn't acceptable and that she is going to help mommy clean up HER mess. Don't let her play, don't let her have snacks, she has to be right next to you, helping. After a couple of times of being forces to do that, I bet she will stop. Good Luck!
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 5:07 PM on May. 23, 2009

• My son thinks he has to take his diaper off when he poops and sometimes it goes everywhere. what i do is put a onesie on him and pants and he cant get the onesie undone. maybe try that? good luck let me know if it works.
    hooten_annie

Answer by hooten_annie at 6:02 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Yes...she is always dressed when she goes to bed....And I don't think I would have her help me clean up poop. But thanks for the thought!! As far as a onsie...I haven't tried it, but I don't remember seeing one that is big enough for her. She is wearing 3T clothes now. But it is def something I will look into. Thanks ladies!!
    MELANIEUBBENS

Answer by MELANIEUBBENS at 6:48 PM on May. 23, 2009

• If your not willing to have her help clean up the poop(why not?), maybe it's time to start potty training. Or you could buy some cloth diapers with snaps. Those are harder to get off than sposies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on May. 24, 2009

• I've seen onesies size 2T and I think a couple were 3T. They are out there, you just gotta really search. Good luck though!
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 6:08 AM on May. 24, 2009