Should I ask my parents for money?

Our finances are VERY tight right now ( as alot of people's are). My husband's job is very slow and iffy, he's laid off next week, for the 4th time since Thanksgiving, and will probably be laid off many more times until the economy picks up. We've cut corners in every way possible. We don't live extravagantly ( most of our clothes are hand me downs or thrift store finds. Our car needs inspected next week and will need repairs ( don't know exactly what yet) and we just don't have the money. The car will have to sit for a couple of weeks until we can scrape up some money, and we'll need to make do with one vehicle until then, which isn't THAT big a deal but VERY inconvenient, especially because my husband works rotating shifts. It's not like I can pick him up from work at 12 am. My mom has told me to ask if we are really in a pinch, but I still feel funny about it. Should I just ask them for a little money to get by?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• Are there other ways to cut costs? The economy isn't going to swing around anytime soon. Do you or can you get a job? How about a cheaper place to live? Can he ride a bike to work instead of drive?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 4:53 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Well if you have cut all your extras I would hope you aren't accessing the internet at your house.......

Anonymous

• Personally I wouldnt, because you already know that u dont have the money to pay her back, and as most of us things happen and it might be a while before you can pay her back month or more.. thats just me cause if something happens and she needs the money back and u can pay it back thats not a place i would wanna put myself in..
    Anonymous

• Anon at 4:54: internet is a necessity for us right now because we are currently cyberschooling our children ( free public cyber-charter school provided through the state) and they need internet access to log on every day for school) Before you tell me to send my kids to public school for free, I will just tell you that THAT isn't going to happen. No way will I send my kids to the crappy drug infested schools in our district.

EireLass, my husband can only ride a bike to work when he's on daylight shift, but he is trying to find a decent one at a yard sale. He works rotating shifts and it's not safe to ride a bike in the middle of the night, especially around here. I've thought about trying to find a job, but with his crazy shifts, I don't know how I would be able to work around his schedule. I don't have anyone to watch the kids when he's working. He's trying to find some side work to do when he's laid off, but no luck.
    Anonymous

• Also, my parents would never ask me to pay them back, I just still feel funny about it.
    Anonymous

• Okay, here's my opinion:
    Your mom wouldn't offer if she didn't mean it. As a parent, you NEVER end being a parent, even if your kid is 30 or 40 years old. When a parent sees their son or daughter in trouble financially even when they are doing all the right things, and they are able to help, they're going to WANT to help!

I would suggest that you and your husband sit down and try to figure out how much money you would need. Then the both of you sit down with your parents and explain how much you need and what you need it for. Maybe explain that you would feel more comfortable taking the money if you knew you could pay it back, you just don't know when that will be.

As for extra income, can you watch a couple of extra kids during the day? School's letting out very soon and people will need someone to watch their kids. That could bring in some money. Or maybe have a yard sale, sell on eBay. Get imaginative!

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:26 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Do you really need two cars? Eliminating the cost of insurance and maintenance for one could help you save a bundle.
    If you think that the loan will come without emotional strings, then ask, I would only ask if it was really critical.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:20 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Do your parents know the situation you are in? Do his? If they do I don't understand why they haven't bailed you out already. You shouldn't have to ask. They should have offered a long time ago.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 8:45 PM on May. 23, 2009

• My parents know part of the situation, they know my husband is laid off again, they don't know EVERYTHING though. I don't like to broadcast our problems, and my parents live 10 hours away from us, so they only know what I tell them over the phone. My in-laws live about 20 minutes away, but my husband never really talks to them about our financial stuff. We don't like to ask for help or admit that we're struggling, I guess we're kind of proud or maybe just stubborn.
    Anonymous

• There is no harm in asking. The worst they can say is no, right? But if you are interested in working at home, I get to work from home with my 2 kids right next to me and I absolutely love. Not a scam... the company actually has gotten an award from BBB!!! You can visit my website at www.beingunited.com. I would love to help you!
    Rebecca325

Answer by Rebecca325 at 3:49 PM on May. 24, 2009