What type of punishment do you give your kids when they've done something wronge?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:55 PM on May. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it depends on their age and how effective the punishment is. Right now, my 17 month old gets time out. In a few years when she understands more, we might use spanking, and as a teenager, I will take away privileges and she can earn them back.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 4:59 PM on May. 23, 2009

• right now mine is 10 mos and she gets time out in her crib for tantrums and her hand popped when she is told no and she persists. When she gets older we will have to find what works.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:42 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I pop him on the butt. We sit down and talk about it. Then we hug.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 5:43 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Depends on which kid and the offense.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:48 PM on May. 23, 2009

• It varies by age and offense. We don't believe in spanking; hitting another human is an act of violence and sends the message that something hitting or another violent act is the right solution to a problem; this is a message that does not fit with out world view. At 9 or 10 months we started baby timeout; we would hold her still in our lap, and count backward from 20; todders HATE having their movements restricted. From then we moved to time outs in the sad chair or sad corner; putting a beloved item in the closet; rewarding good behavoir, sending a note apologizing; taking away priveleges (friends, text messages, TV, etc.).

Answer by rkoloms at 5:53 PM on May. 23, 2009

• My son is 13 and I can count on 1 hand the number of times I spanked him, all spanking does is teach a child that it is ok to hit and to fear me because I hurt him. I have found that talking to my son (not at him) about why he did something and what he could have done instead works better than anything. I found that ignoring negative behavior (unless someone is hurt or something is broken) and praising positive behavior works a whole lot better.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:20 PM on May. 23, 2009

• With my oldest, he loses privileges. With my 21 month old, he gets time out. Both get warnings before the punishment. At this point they are doing well with these. I also praise them when they're doing well. " Mommy is so proud of you for_______" It's working, but there's always bad days every where! :D

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:46 PM on May. 23, 2009

• It depends. I may give time outs. I give warnings. Spankings are very few. I believe in talking things over with my child and explaining the discispline and asking if he understands why or the reasoning behind his punishment. After we have talked about it, it is forgotten.

I am a strong believer in praising my child. All children will have melt downs. I deal with it the way I think is best. I teach my child that there is nothing he can't talk to me or my husband about. And, it is working.

I am in agreement with Austinsmom35.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 9:05 PM on May. 23, 2009