Would you let your 5 year old learn how to shoot?

My husband thinks this is a good idea. I, however, do not. Am I being ridiculous?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on May. 23, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• well we own guns and SO hunts.. so for both the boys 5th b-days they will be getting bb guns. to learn to shoot, but are only allowed to use them while suppervised
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 5:20 PM on May. 23, 2009

• yup! My 5 YO went hunting with my DH this past fall. He loved it! He even shot at a squirrel but missed. He had a blast though. My hubby is a very careful hunter and was with him the whole time and they both had blaze orange on and was in an area with no other hunters so....it was great!
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 5:26 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I just asked my husband this. We are both hunters and he thinks it would be ok to let them(including our daughter when she's older) shoot a small gun, such as a .22, but OF COURSE with supervision! He learned when he was very young and it wasn't that big of a deal. The only thing I MIGHT be concerned about is the child going to school bragging about shooting a gun and telling their parents, and other parents having a problem. But who knows? I don't have a problem with it, but every parent is entitled to their own opinion. I hope y'all come to an agreement and GL with everything =)
    MadisonsMom0408

Answer by MadisonsMom0408 at 5:26 PM on May. 23, 2009

• If s/he is big enough to hold the weapon correctly, sure.
    Anonymous

• I just don't know if I'd trust OUR 5yo with a gun.
    Anonymous

• For me personally no. I think it depends on the maturity level of the child and whether they can understand the importance and seriousness of shooting a weapon. I think that might be something that some five years olds could do, but I would prefer my child to be 8 or 9.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 5:32 PM on May. 23, 2009

• When our DD is old enough to hold a gun and go to the range with Daddy we will let her learn how to shoot. We will also teach respect for this weapon. If they know what it is and the curiosity is gone they are less likely to treat it as a toy and more likely to leave it alone if found in the house. I would let you LO learn how to use it for his safety in the near future.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:34 PM on May. 23, 2009

• A variety of answers from both sides - thank you.
    Anonymous

• Only if said 5 year old leans gun safety rules first.
    guitarlove

Answer by guitarlove at 6:41 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Learns, not leans!
    guitarlove