Would you go overseas for a month with your child while leaving SO at home?

My inlaws live overseas and have offered to fly me and my DS out. Its a 15 hour flight one way, so you can see that it is pretty far. Anyway, would you go on a month long trip to visit your in-laws while leaving your DH/SO at home? Why or whynot?

ethans_momma06

Asked by ethans_momma06 at 5:25 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yes, I sure would. That would be an amazing opportunity for the children to visit another country, see another culture and visit their grandparents in their own country. Why would I not go? I would jump at that kind of opportunity for my child and for myself.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:50 PM on May. 23, 2009

• heck no! why? First off it's HIS parents right? Why isn't HE going? If it was MY parents then that would be a different story.
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 5:28 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I don't think that I would for a month. I might for a few days to a week so that they can spend time with their grandbaby. It if was my family then I would go for a month or longer. I would be worried about wearing out my welcome if I stayed longer than a week.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:29 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Why don't they come to you for a month since they are offering to pay your fare? There is no way I would do that since they aren't my parents.

Anonymous

• Absolutely. They are a my family now why would i have a problem with it. It wouldnt make sense for my husband to take a whole month off being that he is the only one working, i can just go with the kids. The only thing that would scare me is the plane ride with toddlers, YIKES!!!
    Anonymous

• Why not? In our situation where my husband is the breadwinner he would be unable to take a month off of work.

Going overseas is expensive so going less often for a longer period of time makes a hell of a lot more sense than flying over for just a short visit. If your "SO's" parents (you're obviously not married so they are not your in-laws) are willing to foot the bill, go!

You have a chance to see another country! Your son has a chance to experience a different culture and experience his grandparents. (of course it depends on his age! lol)

What is there that you can't do without your "SO" around?
    Anonymous

• Yes I would. Why? Because it's a paid invitation. My SO is a big boy, he can take care of himself.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 5:39 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Well... depends. Do you get along with them ok? Do you think being there for a full month would go smoothly, or do you think there would be some friction? Exactly where do they live? Is it a communist country or a place where women have fewer rights? Do you have the $$ to get home on your own if need be?

These are all things to consider. I would never put myself in a situation in which -- if things went sour - I would be trapped there or where someone else would have the slightest chance of taking my child from me.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 5:43 PM on May. 23, 2009

• i would do it in a minute! The PP is right though it depends on if you think you would have a good time there. I know that if my husband's parents lived overseas, then I would definitely go with the kids for a month to visit especially if they were paying! My hubby wouldn't be able to take off to go since he is military, but I love visiting other countries and it's a great experience for your son too. Just curious, where do they live? I know for us when we went to Guam it was 16 hours of flying so we scheduled the flight overnight and the kids slept the whole way, only waking up in the Japan airport!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:19 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I would, and have a couple of times. It's my parents that live overseas, though. I go with my kids without my husband, because sometimes he is not able to go because of work. One of the above said they would only do it for a couple of days...that is not fair for the kids, because when you fly for 15 hours, you need to stay for a little bit. There is jetlag to consider and kids need to wind down after such a long flight. I hope you go, enjoy your trip ;-)
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 7:29 PM on May. 23, 2009