What does it mean when an infant's stool is white?

I just went to change my 11week olds diaper and his stool was white. I only feed him formula (Enfamil Nutramigen with rice cereal in the bottle for his acid reflux.) I have no idea what could be causing this...

I was going to call the dr but my mother suggested I wait to see if he does it again...

mrsmaciag

Asked by mrsmaciag at 5:49 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i just saw on the drs they had what each poop color means and i think it has something to do with their liver and something else. but they said it shouldnt ever be white and if it is to take them to the er bc it could be something major....
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:51 PM on May. 23, 2009

• here i got this off a site...
    Chalky white poop could indicate that there is no bile from the liver to digest food. Call the doc

http://www.squidoo.com/babypoop
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:52 PM on May. 23, 2009

• i agree, it can be lack of bile to digest food generally, id call the doctor right away. its far better to be safe than sorry
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 5:59 PM on May. 23, 2009

• My only thing is we were out when it happened and my mom threw out the diaper...so now I don't even have the diaper to show the doctor! He just pooped again and it was normal...I don't know if I should still call now that it's back to normal?
    mrsmaciag

Answer by mrsmaciag at 6:00 PM on May. 23, 2009

• i would still call.... im sure if you tell him it was white he will believe you. and let him know that he pooped againand it was normal but it was still white that other time. i wouldnt just let it go. it should EVER be white.. even if its just once.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 6:01 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Just called the dr...he said to keep an eye on it. If it happens again to bring him in. He has an appt on the 1st so they're going to check him over then.
    mrsmaciag

Answer by mrsmaciag at 6:19 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I'm glad you were able to get in touch with the doctor- hopefully it was just a fluke but at least now you're aware. good luck!
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 7:14 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I would call the doctor right away about white poop.... there might be a problem with the liver or bile duct.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:43 PM on May. 23, 2009