Does your DH/SO go to the WIC office?

Mine goes w/ me or a lot of times by himself to go pick up the checks. The ladies that work there get all bent out of shape about it when he goes alone. Yeah, I know it's Women, Infants and Children, but if he's the father and his name is in the system, why do they care? They're always so pushy there! I really do appreciate the help- but I dread going into the office b/c all they do is lecture me on the right and wrong ways to raise and feed my kids. If you're not doing things exactly by their guidelines they jump all over you. Oh, and don't even get me started on the lectures I got for combo feeding my twins when they were little...

On the other hand, when DH goes in alone, it's always really quick (no lectures, but he gets a lot of dirty looks)- if I go, it takes about an hour.

What's your experience w/ WIC?

dannydawna

Asked by dannydawna at 5:58 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• my experience with wic... is that... theyre really rude. one lady commented on my weight saying im too big and im gaining too much weight and its not normal and i need to go on a diet to LOSE weight... i was pregnant at the time! i was pissed.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 6:00 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I have never had a problem at mine. They are all really nice. I guess it's different at every office. We always schedule any type of appt for anything in the morning so my DH can go(he works nights). Nothing has ever been said when he does or doesn't come and no dirty looks. I would call the "big guys" and complain!
    Anonymous

• The only problem I have had so far was them always telling me I'm overweight (while pregnant, and then at 2 months PP, wow...I just had a baby, dude...). And also they told me I was feeding my baby WAY too much for a 4/5 month old. If she's hungry I feed her, and that is that. No doctor or WIC personnel can tell me otherwise. My pediatrician actually said she was eating the perfect amount for her age, while the WIC office said I was over-feeding her. IMO, they don't know what they're talking about when it comes to that.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 6:28 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Ours is ok.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 6:29 PM on May. 23, 2009

• When I was on WIC many years ago in 3 different states, they were all great! I think the appointment times were a bit too long, but otherwise, I had no problems at all.
    I agree, I believe it's the office you go to. It's too bad that personnel aren't screened properly or given reviews more often on their attitude and communication skills.
    I also think it is wonderful that a husband wants to help out. WIC may stand for "Women, Infants, and Children" but that is because that is whom they provide food for. When a woman is not pregnant or breastfeeding, then she no longer receives WIC. If men were able to breastfeed (LOL...can you imagine?!) then they would be on NWIC....LOL.
    Compassion and gratitude go a long way in this world - givers and receivers should always remember that. ♥
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:42 AM on May. 24, 2009

• mine was ok my DH did not go much but maby to pick them up only thing they every said to me is my kids need more veggis
    lilmama29113

Answer by lilmama29113 at 10:02 AM on May. 24, 2009

• My dh does the whole wic apts... execpt when i have to go for my pregnancy. The first time he went with me ... i was on lunch from work. of course it took long. but the lady was like why didn't he just come UGGGGGG thats the whole reason why he came was so he could start doin it. He just wanted help with the papers and stuff. Otherwise he goes to them and to the classes too. They don't say a word. As for them sayin ooo ur baby is this or ur kid is that....... i ignore them. We go by what the ped says...... and what their charts tell us. Normally we don't have problems with that theory. When i had my first on WIC 10 yrs ago.... the people were really nice...... we have since had problems in our WIC office where charges of harrassment and stuff among the workers have gone on. so things have changed in the office. UGGGGG CRABBY ladies in there sometimes .....
    sassy_sweet_blu

Answer by sassy_sweet_blu at 5:09 PM on May. 25, 2009