Why do people think kids are entitled to junk food?

I just seriously don't understand how people can say kids are "entitled" to junk food like candy and soda. I'm not saying don't let your kids have it, or that you are a bad mom for giving it to them. Mine get candies and sodas on occasion. But no, they are not entitled to it. When I make my weekly grocery list, we make sure we have enough healthy food to make meals (poultry, ground turkey, dried beans, rice, turkey sausages, pasta, whole grain breads, fresh/canned/frozen fruits and vegetables and baking supplies. Then if we have extra money we may buy fruit popsicles or ice cream. But that isn't all the time. With the rate of childhood obesity, why are we still so concerned with our kids being "entitled" to thier junk food? I'm REALLY not trying to start any drama I just don't understand, so if you all could really explain your point of view that would be awesome. I'm open to others point of views just to see the logic.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 6:16 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Kids don't need junk food and they certainly are not entitled to it. LOL. They need milk,water and juice, not soda/pop. They need actual real food, not ground up chicken left over stuff that they shape into Chicken fingerrs. They need whole wheat bread. They need fish and veggies. And if they need a snack or a treat, make it yourself and don't give them Hostess crap. LOL. Sorry-I just feel strongly about it. ;-)
    Anonymous

• Well, its not even about obesity or the high rate of it. Even if all kids were thin, they still wouldnt be entitled to it at all. No one is entitled to anything but life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness....I dont think that includes junk food....LOL. I missed that post. It must have been in the food stamp post.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:23 PM on May. 23, 2009

• What do you mean by "entitled?" I think you may have chosen the wrong word. I don't think any parent thinks their children have to have candy "according to law" b/c that's what the definition is. I think that parents feel that their child CAN have sweets for a treat
    Anonymous

• Who said their kids are "entitled" to junk food? The kids don't earn the money to buy groceries. The parents do. The parent, however, IS entitled the right to DECIDE when the child gets junk food though.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 6:26 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Yes momofsaee its in the foodstamp posts. Many people think their children are entitled to junk food, candy, sodas and that if they don't have them they are going to feel like they are missing something or not getting what other kids have. And anon, ENTITLED is exactly the word some of those posts use.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:27 PM on May. 23, 2009

• BTW those posts are in the politics and current events section which is where i meant to post this lol.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:28 PM on May. 23, 2009

• my son prefers dried fruits and muffins over junk ... i guess i did it right ,
    Anonymous

• I'm the same way you are.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 6:33 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I don't think anyone is necessarily "entitled" to junk food, but I disagree with that entire post on food stamps vs. junk food. The reason being that just because someone is poor, doesn't mean that they don't want a candy bar now and again, or a soda to drink with dinner. No, junk food shouldn't be consumed on a daily basis, BUT we're not a communist country (yet, anyways) so no one can decide what I or anyone else buys for our families. Now, I don't think it's right to spend a whole LOT of food stamps on candy and junk, but every month I buy my husband and I a 24 pack of off-brand soda, and maybe a bag of chips and some popcorn, but whoopty-doo. I'm eating it, not anyone else... I just wish some people would get a life instead of trying to control the lives of others. (I'm not talking about you, OP. I'm talking about the person who posting the food stamp Q.)
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 6:34 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Whats the difference in MAKING cupcakes or buying premade ones?
    Anonymous