Sports for my 3 year old

Does anyone know of any team sports that my 3 year old can sign up for? I can't seem to find any organization that will accept children under 5. Thanks

LilMommie86

Asked by LilMommie86 at 6:23 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• There are dance classes and gymnastics for 3 yos, as well as karate and tae kwon do, and I believe there's an indoor soccer program in our area for preschoolers. I think they basically just chase the ball around a basketball court LOL

Organized classes and sports for kids this age usually are just about crowd management, but are a good fit for some kids. At this age, they should never be pushed or pressured; it should be fun and lighthearted - more about letting them experience it than about competition or performance.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 7:22 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Think about it......don't you think there's a reason you can't find them?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 6:41 PM on May. 23, 2009

• 3 is way too young for team sports. They do it for a reason. I can;t tell you how many times Ive heard....should I let him quit? Hes too immature for this and its driving me nuts. Meltdowns on the field and fits in the dugout. Thats what you have to look forwad to.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:47 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Eirelass you don't have to be rude. My 3 year old has a TON of energy and is extremely intelligent. She is always at home with younger sister and I. I want to get her involved in team sports b/c she is very outgoing and desperately needs and wants interaction with other kids her age.
    We don't do playgroups with people we meet on the internet in my opinion it is VERY irresponsible and dangerous especially in the city we live in. I am just trying to do something to make my child happy. I don't understand the attitude I get from the moms on here.
    LilMommie86

Answer by LilMommie86 at 7:05 PM on May. 23, 2009

• No attitude. Just think about it. At 3 years old, her skeletal system is not sufficient for the impact that could take place. Her muscular system the same. Physically it's not a good thing at 3. Mentally?.....the person who replied after me pretty much sums that up.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:11 PM on May. 23, 2009

• my little girl was in t ball at 3 and loved it.....our parish put the organization together for the kids from ages 3-18.... it gave something to do during the summer and everyone got tropys at the end... she did spring t ball ball this year, today was her last game :( She's also in ballet and tap dance.... maybe try karate as Collinsky said .....maybe call your parish/ county and see if they have any actvities for the summer
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 7:31 PM on May. 23, 2009