Do adults think it's FUNNY to teach children to HATE overweight people?

A few years ago, I was shopping at a clothing store (Ross), minding my own business, when three kids ran past me laughing. I thought to myself "Where are their parents?"

It gets worse. I was pushing my cart down one of the aisles, when one of the kids stopped dead at the end of it, his jaw dropped and his eyes huge. "WOW, SHE'S HUGE!" He screamed. He ran off again.

I was like "WTF?!" But then, it got even worse. In another part of the store, another one of the boys walked past me and said "Jeez, lay off the cookies and doughnuts, lady!" That was the last insult they got out before their caretaker called them to leave.

WHAT THE HELL?! I've never spoken about this until now. Obviously SOMEONE had to teach those boys to be that cruel and just plain EVIL. They thought it was FUNNY to make fun of my weight! I didn't even know them! I've never seen them again. Ugh.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 6:32 PM on May. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• WOW!!! thats horrible! I don't know and I hope their parents did not teach them this. I think peer pressure really is the case in why kids do such horrible things, as well as bad parenting.... sometimes the parents are just not aware that they are taking the wrong approach. I also think that what they listen to and watch has a lot to do with it. Kids aren't stupid and they can tell that society favors 'skinny' people. I'm so sorry you went through this. It makes me just want to cry!
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 6:36 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I think that is rude and disrespectful.. I am so sorry this happened to you.. I can't say I know exactly how you are feeling.. but I get stared at all the time because I am starting to get the baby belly and I think that people should teach their kids that all people are beautiful no matter what shape or size.. keep your head up and don't let some spoiled brats ruin your self confidence
    Anonymous

• Kids have to be taught to hate, they don't just do it themselves. They probably learned from a parent or other kids (they are the worst influences!) Kids should be taught that people all look different and no one is better than anyone else. They should be told by their caretakers that those comments are hurtful. I am sorry these little b*****ds said that to you!
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 6:38 PM on May. 23, 2009

• MAYBE HE WAS JUST GIVING YOU SONE ADVICE MAYBE YOU SHOULD LAY OFF THE SWEETS
    Anonymous

• Thats terrible and very hurtful I am sure. I dont think anyone taught them to be that way, I think they just instinctively know to do that. They thought it was fun to make fun of someone. Its not like parents are telling their kids that its not okay to be fat but the problem is that they arent teaching them to NOT make fun of people because of that reason. I think parents automatically think that their kids are just going to be kind and nice to everyone and it shocks them when they find out differently. I think if I fould out my kids were behaving that way then I would be mortified and I would be having a long chat with them about others feelings and what we say can and does hurt others. I think these conversations are best done before the incident as a preventative measure.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:42 PM on May. 23, 2009

• It is rude. It comes from all directions (the teaching of rudeness).....parents, school, etc. Not sure what you could have done about it.....most parents have blinders on when it comes to their kids. That's horrible though.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 6:45 PM on May. 23, 2009

• You notice how the one person that has to put a mean answer on here posted "anonymously". Real bad a** when nobody can see who you are, huh?
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 6:45 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I guess annonymous answered your question. There really are some horrible parents out there that teach their kids to hate other people.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 6:48 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Haha I know. It's really immature to say it like that, honestly. There's a difference between saying "You need to get healthy." and "OMG EWW LARDASS!"

I regret not telling those kids to fuck off, I really do. All I said was "Go run home to your mommies, you stupid little kids!" I hate that I blanked out. Aughhh. And I was only like sixteen at that time. No wonder I have body image issues as an adult.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 6:57 PM on May. 23, 2009

• It is NEVER ok to teach a child to hate anyone.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:17 PM on May. 23, 2009