Do you usually cook big meals on the weekends? What do you consider to be a big meal?

My Dh wants me to start cooking "big meals" like his mama use to make. His main requirement is cooking from scratch. Any ideas what this means?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:39 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Food & Drink

• lol like making your own pie crust and biscuit dough? Im not into cooking. I do cook everynight for my DH, but its not from scratch. I take full advantage of bisquick and easy cooking, because I don't enjoy the cleaning up after! and cooking from scratch does make a bigger mess... lol If you Like to cook than I say go for it, but if you don't enjoy it like I don't then I wouldnt. Plus I dont think its really fair for him to give you requirements on how he wants you to cook. As long as youre the one in the kitchen its your choice what you want to prepare!

Good luck though!
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 7:27 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Depends on what you consider a big meal. I love to cook so it doesn't matter to me. I just hate cooking in the Heat. I try to get most of my stuff done during the morning. And the Grill is my best friend so far. But yeah I love to cook and from scratch is more healthier by a long shot, and saves on the grocery bill
    Catrin2009

Answer by Catrin2009 at 7:35 PM on May. 23, 2009

• You know....I have found cooking from scratch to be much much easier since I got a bread machine on ebay. Best $10 I have spent in a long time. In it I can make lots more than bread. It has a dough only cycle, so I can pretty quickly mix up the ingedients to biscuits, pizza dough, bread sticks, cinnamon rolls, etc. to compliment many different types of things. Like the PP said also, doing so saves me a lot of money, especially when I buy flour by the 25-50 pound bag. Lots healthier than some of the stuff that you buy at the store as well.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 7:44 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Cooking from scratch is healthier, cheaper, and can be very easy. I cook mostly one pot / one dish meals. I will list typical meals at our house and you can contact me if you would like any recipes. Most of them take 20 minutes; I cook rice on the weekends, I buy frozen chopped veggies, and have a few other short cuts.
    Veggie stir-fry with tofu over brown rice
    Noodles and broccoli with peanut sauce
    Southwest Falafel (really pan fried bean cakes with avocado sauce)
    Sweet potato and black bean burritos
    Lentil tacos
    Lentil sloppy joes
    Veggie stew with dumplings
    General Tsao's Tofu
    Curries with veggies and chickpeas

Answer by rkoloms at 9:11 PM on May. 23, 2009

• No big meals ever in my family, it is just my son and I so a big meal would be a waste. To me big meals are the meals that my grandma made on Sunday's after church. We would have some kind of pasta, salad, roast or chicken, potatoes, veggies, bread and butter. Usually the pasta and sauce were homemade. Coming from an Italian family, we had big meals a lot. Holidays were just nuts, food was everywhere and mainly all homemade.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:26 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Wait a minute. If he wants big meals on the weekends, why doesn't he make them? This sounds to me like a control issue, not a trip down memory lane...

Answer by rkoloms at 6:32 AM on May. 24, 2009

• Sun nights I usually do roast chicken or roast beef with homemade rolls some kind of roasted vegies and potatoes and some kind of dessert, even if it's just icecream sundaes.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 10:57 AM on May. 24, 2009