Why do some people never get addicted to cigarettes?

I smoked for about a year or so. It was more of a social thing than a real addiction. I barely ever craved cigarettes and I could stop for long stretches of time if I wanted to. Now I haven't had one in over a year, and I have absolutely no desire to have one.

Why is it that some people get horribly addicted and some don't at all? Weird.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 6:43 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Health

• I think it's more of a mind over matter thing. I'm a smoker and I've always been told that after the 3rd day of not having nicotine in your system you body doesn't "crave" them anymore. I have never had the desire to quit, so I couldn't really tell ya if I was truly addicted or not!
    Anonymous

• I read that the nicotine triggers a pleasure chemical to be released and that people get addicted to that.

Answer by Bmat at 6:48 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I've never smoked, but my brother is like that. He can go a couple years without smoking and then light up. It's weird. I never understood it. When they talk about being genetically disposed to addictions...can that be the other way around too? Both of my parents were alcoholics. I very rarely drink. I have many back problems and have about 8 different prescriptions. All supposedly addictive. I'm not addicted to any of them. It's odd.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 6:49 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Holy crap I know! My mom is horribly addicted to painkillers for her back and knees and fibromiyalgia. My dad has battled a nicotine addiction since he was about 18. My brother dipped tobacco for a long time, and I come from a family of alcoholics. You'd think I'd be doomed lmao.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 6:54 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I am the same way as you are OP, I don't know! I wish my husband was just like me though, because I can not get him to quit for anything!!!
    Anonymous

• Everyone is different. I had a hard time quitting cigs seriously. but quit drugs easily. some of my friends do well with cigs like you, but are addicted to men LOL
    Anonymous

• I have no desire to smoke. I hate the smell of those things! My parents were smokers...the house always smelled bad...they cost a lot of money, and they cost your health. My grandpa died from complications due to his cigarrette habit. My MOM died from complications due to HER smoking habit...
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:47 PM on May. 23, 2009

• All my 4 older brothers and my dad smoked. But all that second hand smoke gave me asthma and dr. told me not to smoke. So I followed drs orders. I was addicted to junk food. Now I am a health nut. Go figure. All that smoke just made me turn a new leaf.....
    Anonymous

• Wierd, I know. My mom was horribly addicted to cigarettes. She smoked all the time. My dad on the other hand, he's went days without smoking and I never noticed a difference in him. My theory on this is the same as alcoholism. Alcoholism is an addiction. Some people are addicted, some aren't. I believe the same is with cigarettes.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 11:20 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I have a difficult time understanding addiction myself.
    Alcoholism runs in my family, I grew up around smokers, and I take medications that are addictive so my physician monitors me regularly.
    I do not like to drink an alcoholic beverage but perhaps once or twice a year, and then I stop at one drink. I can't stand to even be around cigarette smoke, nor will I allow anyone to smoke in my house. The meds that are potentially addictive that I am on don't give me the urge to take them whatsoever.
    I'm not addicted to anything when, by medical standards, I should be.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:16 PM on May. 25, 2009