How can I stop my 1 year old from hitting me?

When I get on to him, tell him no or pop his hand he just laughs \and hits me back.

notime4me621

Asked by notime4me621 at 8:38 AM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would suggest a firm NO and hold his hitting hands and then put him in a 1 minute time out, at that age a high chair or his room with the door closed in his crib . Then when you retrieve him and time is up say Please don't hit mommy I love you and I don't hit you! That only works IF you don't hit either.
    Gwendolynnsmom

Answer by Gwendolynnsmom at 9:00 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• hmm..thats a rough one! my one year old kicks us..but not to be mean just when we are changing him because he is excited. We say NO..in a firm voice and hold his lil legs so he cant kick us anymore...he will grow out of it..we didnt start time-out until jack was two because i think at one..they are too little to understand time-out.
    froghopper

Answer by froghopper at 9:15 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• It's not a good idea to use his crib for a time-out. He will start associating 'bedtime' with 'punishment'. Our pediatrician told me to keep doing what I've been doing (my son is 19 months), and that's using his playpen for time-out (only 2 minutes). It is perfect because we only use it for a toybox now! That way he doesn't have to be afraid of him room/bed. Also, I wouldn't hit his hands, because you are in-fact incouraging the act of hitting. I know it seems to work at times, but later on he will have the excuse "well mommy hits, so it must be okay to hit"....wrong! I know it might be a pain in the butt to keep putting him in time-out, but trust me, it works. Now when my son is doing something he knows he's not supposed to, I'll say "do you want to go into time-out"? He'll say "nooo" and shake his head- 9 outta 10 he'll get the point and stop what he's doing! Hope this helps ;)

LolaMama

Answer by LolaMama at 10:34 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• hit him back!
    Anonymous

• yup my daughter did that once to me and i hit her back and lil harder so she understood she dont hae to hit mommy
    shantee32

Answer by shantee32 at 2:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• my son is almost 1 and he does the hitting thing sometimes,when he does hit me, I tell him no and he mostly doesn't do it again. I don't think hitting back is a great thing to do but I guess that's personal choice. I do hit him on his hand when he has been repeatedly told no and still does it anyway tho.
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 2:56 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Give him a very firm "NO, don't hit!" and grab his hand or arm that he has just hit you with. I wouldn't hit him back if he thinks that's funny. Then pick him up and put him on the couch or some other good place for a time out. At 1 year old, he's probably not ready for "real" time-outs, but moving him away from you might be enough to get the point across. Another thing... do not put him in his bed for time out... if you equate punishment with bed, you'll possibly make bedtime harder b/c he'll think going to bed is for bad boys.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 1:27 AM on Jun. 22, 2008